Dear colleagues,
My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our latest
article entitled "Selection of parameters to assess the welfare of
free-ranging Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins using expert opinion survey "
in the journal Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. This
article represents the first step in the creation of a welfare assessment
tool for Sousa chinensis.

Here is the link to the article:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/aqc.4091
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0048969724005369>

Below is the abstract of this article, please feel free to contact me if
you want a PDF copy.

   1. Animal welfare assessments have recently been suggested to be useful
   for free-ranging animals. Nevertheless, few standardized welfare assessment
   frameworks have been built for wildlife, including cetaceans.
   2. Coastal cetaceans like Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins (*Sousa
   chinensis*, IPHDs) that form resident populations impacted by a wide
   range of human activities are subject to reliable photo-identification
   efforts and thus represent perfect candidates for welfare monitoring.
   3. Parameters that may inform us on some aspects of the welfare of
   free-ranging IPHDs were selected through literature review. A panel survey
   including three consecutive rounds was then conducted to collect the
   opinion of selected experts on these parameters.
   4. The survey allowed the validation of a list containing 31 parameters
   that provide information on the welfare of IPHDs. The opinion of experts
   also allowed to set the modalities of the data collection required to
   measure/observe these parameters.
   5. After establishing a consistent scoring method and testing it on
   existing data, this standardized framework will allow for obtaining a wide
   picture of the living conditions of IPHDs. Variations across time periods,
   among dolphin populations and locations, or following major environmental
   changes (e.g., conservation measures or human disturbances) could then be
   analysed.
   6. Added to traditional conservation approaches, standardized welfare
   monitoring will greatly participate in the conservation of these animals.

Agathe Serres, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral researcher
Institute of Deep Sea Science and Engineering, Sanya, China
agathe.serre...@gmail.com
*aga...@idsse.ac.cn <aga...@idsse.ac.cn>*