Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I would like to share with you our recent publication
in Ocean & Coastal Management:

Quan Xie, Duan Gui, Wenbo Wang, Yi Zhang, Heng Zhang, Lirong Yuan, Wenping
Gong, Predictable oceanographic processes drive the formation of a
distribution hotspot for Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins at a manmade harbor,
Volume 253, 2024, 107160
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2024.107160.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0964569124001455

Abstract: Marine mammals often aggregate and forage in specific ‘hotspot’
areas, which are associated with the predictability of prey sources driven
by certain oceanographic processes. However, our understanding of the
interactions between marine predators and the oceanographic processes
remains incomplete, particularly in near-coastal and estuarine regions.
This study investigated how predictable oceanographic processes influence
the distribution patterns of Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins (*Sousa
chinensis*) foraging in a known hotspot within the Pearl River Estuary,
characterized by the complex topography of its manmade harbor and the
interplay between strong tidal flows and river plumes. To address the
fine-scale spatial distribution pattern of dolphin foraging, we conducted
fixed passive acoustic monitoring of foraging ‘buzzes’ both inside and
outside the harbor. Additionally, boat-based transect surveys were
conducted to explore the relationship between dolphin foraging and
associated water properties and current fields driven by oceanographic
processes. Temporal trend analyses of buzzes revealed a pronounced
tidal-related pattern in dolphin foraging activity, with increased
detections during ebbing tides outside the harbor. Transect surveys
indicated areas with elevated chlorophyll and turbidity levels attracted
more dolphins during flood tides, whereas regions with high surface
salinity gradients were preferred by dolphins during ebb tides.
Oceanographic analysis recognized these bio-physical links as indicators of
oceanographic features, including chlorophyll-rich river plumes, converging
fronts, and shear-induced turbulence. These features enhance prey abundance
and availability for humpback dolphins. This study highlights that
oceanographic processes are crucial for determining the fine-scale
spatiotemporal distribution of foraging in coastal dolphins, and offers
insights into the effective prediction of dolphin aggregation.

The full article is available open access for 50 days at
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1izfo3RKK--rQl Please do not hesitate to
contact me
at guidu...@mail.sysu.edu.cn with any questions or for additional
information.