Dear Colleagues,

My coauthors and I are excited to share our recent, open-access publication in
the Latin American Journal of Aquatic Mammals Special Issue on the Biology and
Conservation of Manatees. Our paper explores the factors affecting the
probability of detecting an Amazonian manatee using an occupied aerial vehicle,
or drone, at an ex situ study site, where the number of manatees present is
controlled. It also estimates the minimum survey effort, including the number
of repeat surveys and the time-to-detection, required to reliably detect
manatees present at the study site and under the observed conditions. Based on
the results, we suggest various ways UAVs can be used to study Amazonian
manatees, both independently and in conjunction with existing methods and other
technologies.

Citation: Farinelli, S., Keith-Diagne, L., Garnica, J., Keiman, J. ., & Luther,
D. (2024). Quantifying minimum survey effort to reliably detect Amazonian
manatees using an unoccupied aerial vehicle (UAV) at an ex situ soft-release
site. Latin American Journal of Aquatic Mammals, 19(1), 42-60.
https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00319.

The article can be accessed here: https://doi.org/10.5597/lajam00319

The Special Issue can be accessed here:
https://www.lajamjournal.org/index.php/lajam/issue/view/53