On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Greg McDonald <gregm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I fail to see the relationship between the tea party and the white
> working class. Most of the demographic data on the tea party I have
> seen, some of it posted on this list, indicates it is  primarily a
> middle and upper-middle class phenomenon.
>
> Most working class people are working two or three jobs and don't have
> time to go to rallies anyway.
>
> Greg McD
>

>From the article:
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2011/prashad240111.html

"The Tea <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/sd210410.html>
Party<http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/ds290410.html>is the
political expression of the fears of the white working class and the
managerial sector.  Most of its supporters are older, white, and male.  Many
also happen to be Christian fundamentalists."

"The new unemployed, who have joined the disposable in a structural sense
but not at all in a subjective sense, are white-collar managerial workers
who inhabit the office parks, answering phones, managing inventory, and
straightening up databases. "

It is fairly obvious that you and V. Prashad have different working
definitions of 'the working class'. I agree with you demographically on
where support for the tea party comes from, probably Prashad would too. Of
course the 'middle class' is not a Marxist class definition, not that it
isn't often useful, particularly in a US context. I am somewhat agnostic on
how exactly to define the working class and can see arguments for multiple
definitions depending on context. I take Marx's discussion of 'the
collective worker' in Capital and similar later period texts seriously. How
best to define the working class would no doubt be a long, complex and
interesting discussion. However, I was mostly interested in people thoughts
on that other class, 'the global ruling class'. As I said:

One thought. To what extent is the ruling class now 'global'? And what does
this mean for how we think about imperialism and capitalism?

Richard Seymour / Lenin's Tomb recently posted this piece:

http://leninology.blogspot.com/2011/01/global-ruling-class.html

Louis Proyect posted as comment the link to a recent New Atlantic article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/01/the-rise-of-the-new-global-elite/8343

William Robinson's recent piece in Radical Philosophy ('The Global Capital
Leviathan') might also be of interest:

http://www.radicalphilosophy.com/default.asp?channel_id=2187&editorial_id=29356

There was some discussion of this a decade ago in the midst of the Global
Justice Movement, in particular discussion was catalyzed by Hardt & Negri's
'Empire'. But 'Empire' was hopelessly utopian in outlook and then 9/11
happened and all the talk turned to 'The New Imperialism' and a US attempt
to re-assert hegemony via neo-conservatism, Iraq and Afghanistan, etc. One
gets the feeling now that neo-conservatism was less a sea-change than a
stage in the continuing evolution and deepening of a neo-liberal globalism,
something that has been accelerated by this crisis. I noticed Louis
attempted to have a discussion of imperialism some years ago which never
really got past the 1970s. Where are we now?