A century later, I grew up amidst various durable legacies of this
racism in Huntsville. Part of the R&D and construction for Nasa's space
program was centered there, after Werner von Braun was poached from you
know where. Adding a great many German and other immigrant scientists to
the mix didn't alter the power structure. The neighborhood I was raised
in, on one of the Appalachians, was systematically segregated, and I
think still is, another four decades on.