My edition of _Capital_ I says "fancy" regarding from where wants spring, along with
the stomach.

"Imagination" is what separates the work of bees and spiders from that of the human
laborer in the chapter on "The Labor-Process"

Charles

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/16/02 07:00AM >>>

Indeed! As I recall this comes straight out of German Romantic philosophy, or at least
as articulated by Coleridge in his outstanding plagiarism of same. And, if I remember
rightly, Fantasy fo Coleridge was a higher order of thought, a sort of organic product
of the mind, thoughts produced from synthesising baser mental processes.
Just done a search and realised I'm talking bollocks! Getting confused between Fantasy
and the Fancy, but isn't Marx's phrase sometimes translated as springing from the
Fancy?
Anyway, here's Coleridge on the matter:from Biographia Literaria, Chapter 13
[ON THE IMAGINATION, OR THE ESEMPLASTIC(1) POWER]
. . . The IMAGINATION, then, I consider either as primary, or secondary. The primary
IMAGINATION I hold to be the living power and prime agent of all human perception, and
as a repetition in the finite mind of the eternal act of creation in the infinite I
AM. The secondary I consider as an echo of the former, co-existing with the conscious
will, yet still as identical with the primary in the kind of its agency, and differing
only in degree, and in the mode of its operation. It dissolves, diffuses, dissipates,
in order to recreate; or where this process is rendered impossible, yet still, at all
events, it struggles to idealize and to unify. It is essentially vital, even as all
objects (as objects) are essentially fixed and dead.
FANCY, on the contrary, has no other counters to play with but fixities and definites.
The fancy is indeed no other than a mode of memory emancipated from the order of time
and space, and blended with, and modified by that empirical phenomenon of the will
which we express by the word CHOICE. But equally with the ordinary memory it must
receive all its materials ready made from the law of association. . . . .,
Russ