Media may hear from Chavez
April 15, 2002

Hugo Chavez
(AFP)
  By HECTOR TOBAR, Times Staff Writer

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Free after 48 hours under military arrest, President Hugo Chavez
retook control of Venezuela on Sunday and began anew to place his personal stamp on
the country.

He said he would seek "national reconciliation," but he also held his chief opponent
in custody and hinted at "corrective action" against the media that supported last
week's attempt to oust him.

Chavez appeared to emerge stronger than ever from the conflict with opposition forces
that was led, largely, by disaffected members of the middle class and the business
community. Badly miscalculating the level of support for Chavez among military
officers and the poor, those forces brought to power an interim president who lasted
only a day before Chavez was returned to this capital early Sunday to resume his post.

The former paratrooper's first address to the Venezuelan people, just before dawn
Sunday, was vintage Chavez. For an hour, he told the story of his days and nights in
captivity, giving the tale tragic and comic turns and using props like the crucifix he
said he had held while praying for "the safety of my wife and my children."

Chavez also made an important concession to this country's restive opposition,
agreeing to fire the oil officials whose appointment in February had provoked last
week's crisis.

"There will be no retaliation, no revenge," he said. "I didn't come back to hold a
witch hunt."

Later, the president visited the military base where an air force general had been
among the first to declare himself in rebellion against Pedro Carmona, the hapless
interim president who displaced Chavez. Carmona's ministers fled the Miraflores
presidential palace in panic Saturday night when a large pro-Chavez crowd surrounded
the building.

According to Reuters, the Roman Catholic Church said security forces killed 23 people
in riots Saturday night, but there was no official word on casualties. State
television said nine people died.

A mild-mannered leader of the nation's largest business federation, Carmona was under
arrest Sunday, and his family asked the Catholic Church to help ensure his safety.

^^^^^^^^

Charles: His being mild mannered is irrelvant.

^^^^^^^

Chavez, who is in the second year of a six-year term, said in a radio interview Sunday
that Carmona was "being detained but is not being held incommunicado like I was. . . .
He has a right to a defense attorney and is being investigated by the attorney general
to determine the charges against him."

Ramon Rodriguez Chacin, who serves as both justice and interior minister, said the
military officers who rebelled against Chavez would also be held to account for
"bringing the country to the brink of civil war."

"Let this [episode] serve as a lesson to us that we should always maintain the
constitutional order," said Rodriguez, who had been arrested Friday by Carmona's
government.

Carmona had earned the wrath of many Latin American leaders Friday when he took an
extraordinary series of measures to undo Chavez's control of all three branches of
government. He dismissed the national legislature and the Supreme Court, both of which
are dominated by Chavez supporters.

The United States was one of the few countries to suggest that Chavez's overthrow
might have been justified. On Sunday, National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice said
on NBC-TV's "Meet the Press" that Chavez needed to "respect constitutional processes."

"I hope that Hugo Chavez takes the message that his people sent him—that his own
policies are not working for the Venezuelan people, that he's dealt with them in a
highhanded fashion," Rice said.

Once supportive of Chavez's nationalist politics, many middle-class Venezuelans have
grown tired of what they see as his arbitrary style of rule. They formed a loose
coalition to bring him down—including business, labor, church and civic groups.

"Now Chavez has shown that he can rule without the middle class," Anibal Romero, a
professor of political science at the University of Simon Bolivar here, said Sunday.
"But he can't make the country prosperous without them. I'm not sure Chavez has
learned that yet."

The rebellion against Chavez failed, Romero said, because of the "naivete" of its
leaders, most of whom have little political experience.

Chavez's surprising return to power brought celebrations in both Cuba and Iraq. The
official Iraqi News Agency released a statement that was sent Sunday to Chavez from
President Saddam Hussein.

"We received with overwhelming and great happiness news of the foiling of the coup
attempt that took place in your country," the message said. Chavez visited Iraq last
year.

In Caracas, the Venezuelan capital, officials issued repeated calls for calm, as
scattered looting and rioting similar to what accompanied the demonstrations for
Chavez's return continued Sunday morning.

The unrest pointed to the underlying tensions in a country where the majority of
people live below the poverty line.

Before Thursday's uprising against him, Chavez had a 34% approval rating in polls
here, having fallen precipitously from 65% in June, according to pollster Luis Vicente
Leon.

A slumping economy and a steep devaluation of the national currency fed the growing
dissatisfaction with Chavez's rule. He slashed the national budget, a measure prompted
in part by his decision to reduce oil output to keep in line with OPEC quotas.

Leon expects Chavez's popularity to increase somewhat in the short term, "because he
has become a martyr figure to many people." And many will see his dramatic return to
power as proof of his strong leadership, Leon added.

For some Chavez supporters, the populist strongman's lightning-fast resurrection from
what seemed certain political death has only added to his mystique as a fighter for
Venezuela's downtrodden.

"God gave us this president to look after us, and it's our job to take care of him,"
said Milagro Urbaneta, a Caracas resident who had come to the Miraflores palace to
join a celebration of Chavez's return. "He doesn't think of himself. He thinks of his
people first."

Chavez only added to his image with his Sunday morning speech, which he made as his
Cabinet and other followers sat alongside him, addressing his audience with the easy
familiarity of a talk-show host. He recounted how the generals holding him captive had
tried to force him to resign Thursday night.

"It's true that they put in front of me a page that said 'Resign.' I said: 'Put that
away. I'm not going to sign it. I am a prisoner president.' "

Later, as his captors shifted him from one military base to another—to five different
locations in all—he managed to smuggle out a letter via a loyalist soldier who had
asked him: "Is it true, my leader, that you resigned?"

"No, son, it's not true," Chavez responded.

The soldier gave Chavez paper to write and told him to deliver the note by crumpling
it up and throwing it in a waste basket. The soldier later retrieved it and smuggled
it out to Chavez's supporters, who offered it as proof that he never resigned.

"I realize now," Chavez concluded, "that it's been too long since I spent time with
the soldiers."

Chavez had harsh words for the Venezuelan media. On Thursday, most of Venezuela's
privately owned television stations offered extensive coverage of anti-Chavez
demonstrations. But Saturday, they ignored the growing unrest as Chavez supporters
took to the streets, and broadcast regular programming.

"The hour has come for some profound corrective actions" regarding the media, Chavez
said, without offering specifics. Later, a Chavez official promised an investigation
of the television coverage.