The best material for learning what's happening in the world is published by
and for businessmen and policy makers.  One of my favourites is newnations
bulletin, but this from Global Policy Forum (just came across it in my
files) is most relevant to the Ollmen's article. The strategic context of
the Iraq war has little to do with wmd, with S Hussein or with freedom.  The
burning concern of the American and British govts. for the fate and freedom
of the Iraqis or anyone else for that matter is in essence a sales pitch.
The war itself is between Euro-Russian consortiums (a bit more investigation
would show that the Germans were funding the Russian initiative) and the
Anglo-Saxon states.  Considering the imminent possibilities of a world
energy crisis, the Iraq situation was probably unavoidable.  Ironic though.
In 1999 the US and her allies invaded Iraq to defend the independence of the
sovereign state of Kuwait, now the US and Britain are showing the Iraqis
and, of course all the rest of us how to take what you want the right way.

Too bad for the Iraqis caught as they are in the middle, they'd best look
for somewhere else to live. Considering the stakes involved there, it's
unlikely the opposition to the American occupation within and without Iraq
will have much success.

Iraq: the Struggle for Oil
By James A. Paul
Executive Director, Global Policy Forum
August, 2002 (revised December, 2002)
Oil Companies in Iraq: A Century of Rivalry and War (November 2003)
Oil in Iraq: the Heart of the Crisis (December, 2002)
The Iraq Oil Bonanza: Estimating Future Profits (January 28, 2004)

Iraq possesses the world's second largest proven oil reserves, currently
estimated at 112.5 billion barrels, about 11% of the world total and its gas
fields are immense as well. Many experts believe that Iraq has additional
undiscovered oil reserves, which might raise the total well beyond 250
billion barrels when serious prospecting resumes, putting Iraq closer to
Saudi Arabia and far above all other oil producing countries. Iraq's oil is
of high quality and it is very inexpensive to produce, making it one of the
world's most profitable oil sources. Oil companies hope to gain production
rights over these rich fields of Iraqi oil, worth hundreds of billions of
dollars. In the view of an industry source it is "a boom waiting to happen."
(1) As rising world demand depletes reserves in most world regions over the
next 10-15 years, Iraq's oil will gain increasing importance in global
energy supplies. According to the industry expert: "There is not an oil
company in the world that doesn't have its eye on Iraq."(2) Geopolitical
rivalry among major nations throughout the past century has often turned on
control of such key oil resources.(3)

Five companies dominate the world oil industry, two US-based, two primarily
UK-based, and one primarily based in France.(4) US-based Exxon Mobil looms
largest among the world's oil companies and by some yardsticks measures as
the world's biggest company.(5) The United States consequently ranks first
in the corporate oil sector, with the UK second and France trailing as a
distant third. Considering that the US and the UK act almost alone as
sanctions enforcers (and as advocates of war against Iraq), and that they
are the headquarters of the world's four largest oil companies, we cannot
ignore the possible relationship of their policy with this powerful
corporate interest.

US and UK companies long held a three-quarter share in Iraq's oil
production, but they lost their position with the 1972 nationalization of
the Iraq Petroleum Company.(6) The nationalization, following ten years of
increasingly rancorous relations between the companies and the government,
rocked the international oil industry, as Iraq sought to gain greater
control of its oil resources. After the nationalization, Iraq turned to
French companies and the Russian (Soviet) government for funds and
partnerships.(7) Today, the US and UK companies are very keen to regain
their former position, which they see as critical to their future leading
role in the world oil industry. The US and the UK governments also see
control over Iraqi and Gulf oil as essential to their broader military,
geo-strategic and economic interests. At the same time, though, other states
and oil companies hope to gain a large or even dominant position in Iraq. As
de-nationalization sweeps through the oil sector, international companies
see Iraq as an extremely attractive potential field of expansion. France and
Russia, the longstanding insiders, pose the biggest challenge to future
Anglo-American domination, but serious competitors from China, Germany and
Japan also play in the Iraq sweepstakes.(8)

During the 1990s, Russia's Lukoil, China National Petroleum Corporation and
France's TotalFinaElf held contract talks with the government of Iraq over
plans to develop Iraqi fields as soon as sanctions are lifted. Lukoil
reached an agreement in 1997 to develop Iraq's West Qurna field, while China
National signed an agreement for the North Rumailah field in the same year
(China's oil import needs from the Persian Gulf will grow from 0.5 million
barrels per day in 1997 to 5.5 million barrels per day in 2020, making China
one of the region's most important customers).(9) France's Total at the same
time held talks for future development of the fabulous Majnun field.

US and UK companies have been very concerned that their rivals might gain a
major long-term advantage in the global oil business. "Iraq possesses huge
reserves of oil and gas - reserves I'd love Chevron to have access to,"
enthused Chevron CEO Kenneth T. Derr in a 1998 speech at the Commonwealth
Club of San Francisco, in which he pronounced his strong support for
sanctions.(10) Sanctions have kept the rivals at bay, a clear advantage.
US-UK companies hope that the regime will eventually collapse, giving them a
strong edge over their competitors with a post-Saddam government. As the
embargo weakened and Saddam held onto power, however, stakes in the rivalry
rose, for US-UK companies worried that they might eventually be shouldered
aside. Direct military intervention by the US-UK, then, offers a tempting
but dangerous gamble that might put Exxon, Shell, BP and Chevron in
immediate control of the Iraqi oil boom, but at the risk of backlash from a
regional political explosion.

In testimony to Congress in 1999, General Anthony C.Zinni, commander in
chief of the US Central Command, testified that the Gulf Region, with its
huge oil reserves, is a "vital interest" of "long standing" for the United
States and that the US "must have free access to the region's resources."
(11) "Free access," it seems, means both military and economic control of
these resources. This has been a major goal of US strategic doctrine ever
since the end of World War II. Prior to 1971, Britain (the former colonial
power) policed the region and its oil riches. Since then, the United States
has deployed ever-larger military forces to assure "free access" through
overwhelming armed might.(12)

A looming US war against Iraq is only comprehensible in this light. For all
the talk about terrorism, weapons of mass destruction and human rights
violations by Saddam Hussein, these are not the core issues driving US
policy. Rather, it is "free access" to Iraqi oil and the ultimate control
over that oil by US and UK companies that raises the stakes high enough to
set US forces on the move and risk the stakes of global empire.

Oil Companies in Iraq: A Century of Rivalry and War (November 2003)
Oil in Iraq: the Heart of the Crisis (December, 2002)
The Iraq Oil Bonanza: Estimating Future Profits (January 28, 2004)

----
(1) Conversation with the author, June 5, 2002.
(2) Ibid.
(3) See, for example, Daniel Yergin, The Prize: the epic quest for oil,
money and power (New York, 1991).
(4) In order of size these firms are: Exxon Mobil, Royal Dutch-Shell,
British Petroleum-Amoco, Chevron-Texaco, and TotalFinaElf. Royal Dutch Shell
is often described as a British-Dutch company, while TotalElfFina is
sometimes described as a French-Italian company.
(5) ExxonMobil was ranked as the number one company worldwide in 2001 as
measured by profits, which stood at over $15 billion. In that year, the
company was ranked number two worldwide in terms of revenues, which totalled
$192 billion, behind the far-less-profitable retail company Walmart, that
had revenues of $220 billion.
(6) Major shareholders in IPC were: Shell, BP, Esso (later Exxon), Mobil,
and CFP, the French national company.
(7) For an account of this period, see Joe Stork, Middle East Oil and the
Energy Crisis (New York, 1975), 188-194. Since 1918, France had considered
Iraq to be its main source of international oil reserves and its main means
to gain parity with the Anglo-American companies (see Yergin, op. cit.,
188-191).
(8) See Michael Tanzer, "Oil and Military Power in the Middle East and the
Crimean Sea Region, The Black World Today (web site), two parts, February 28
and Mar 6, 2002.
(9)From US Department of Energy, International Energy Outlook, Table 13.
(10) Text as posted at
www.chevrontexaco.com/news/archive/chevron_speech/1998/98-11-05.asp At the
time, Condoleeza Rice, currently US National Security Advisor, was a board
member of Chevron and one of the company's supertankers was named after her.
Though it is tempting to insist on the many oil and energy industry
connections of the Bush administration, including the President and Vice
President Cheney, oil issues have consistently had a heavy influence on US
foreign policy, regardless of party or personalities.
(11) Testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee, April 13, 1999.
(12) See Michael T. Klare, Resource Wars: the new landscape of global
conflict (New York, 2001), esp. ch. 3, "Oil Conflict in the Persian Gulf."

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/oil/2002/08jim.htm

Incidentally, this recent notice in newnations bulletin NEWNATIONS
BULLETIN: MAY 05 is indicative of where it's all at.

"Energy security has now passed the static 'War on Terror' as the leading US
foreign policy priority. Since dodging car bombs and staying alive is the
reasonable priority of Coalition troops, leaving aside enhanced security and
police work worldwide, the actual 'war' has bogged down somewhere in the
Afghan / Pakistan highlands where the Al Qaeda and Taleban leaders have now
evaded capture for all of these years".

The issue is energy, not terrorism, not WMD and surely not freedom; the
Iraqi's, your's or mine.
Regards,
victor