Re: Re: marxistphilosophy] Re: [Marxism-Thaxis] O, Dialectics!
       (andie nachgeborenen)
> >CB: One thinks of Marx's comments about the need for
>
> abstraction to
> make up
>
> >for inability to directly observe in certain aspects
>
> of science.
>
> Empiricists, hard-boiled phenomenalists, Berkleyean
> idealists, etc., don't object to the use of sbatrction
> in science. They wouldn't do science any differently
> (more the most part). (Mach, fore example, was a very
> distinguished scientist.) It's just the interpretation
> they put on those abstractions. After decades oif
> arguing this in philoshophy I amn wondering why the
> debate matters.
>

> Mach was
> stuck
> in the rut of phenomenalism.  Dodging the materialist
> position, Mach
> attempted to redefine matter as permanent
> possibilities of sensation.
>
> He says he doiesn't do this. He is quite explicit that
> his "elements" are not sensastions and could bt
> physical. Carnap and later Nelson Goodman took the
> same line. Part of what mach was about as a proto
> logical positivist (and this is crystalline in Carnap,
> who was an LP), is that taking old metaphysical
> positions is pointless because they can't be sdoved by
> anything with an empirical consequence. So why not
> take Mach at his word that he is not a phenomenalist?
>
> Lenin
> defines
>
> >materlialism as belief in objective reality outside
>
> of our thoughts,
> not
>
> >belief in absolute space and time.
>
> I usedto to that. Now Ia gree with Rorty that the
> "materialist" position so defined is meaningless,
> unintelligible, and pointless. Some things are real
> and independent of our minds -- spacetime, atoms. Some
> things are real and not independent of our minds --
> classes. Some things are realand independent of our
> minds and not material -- numberrs. God, if she
> exists.  Some things are real but not independent of
> our minds -- our minds, for one. The issue is really
> to be decided entirely on a case by case basis. What
> does it add to the list of all the things we think are
> real because we have scientific or other reasons to
> think they are real, whether or not they are
> indeoendent of our minds or are material, to say,a nd
> the World Is Real And Independent Of Out Minds? What
> is at stake in this claim or its denial?
>
> In fact, the
> point
>
> >to be made here is that Einstein's arriving at a
>
> materialist ( your
>
> >"realist") position based on, as you say, the
>
> dictation of science,
>
> Not the samething. Can be realistic about nonmaterial
> things.
>
> is
>
> >pretty powerful independent corroboration of the
>
> Engels-Lenin
> philosophy of
>
> >science positions. Without starting out thinking as

> [...]

I want to add to the last few points. Belief in an omniscient and /or
omnipotent interpreter is compatible with cruder forms of materialism.
There are certain ancient Indian versions too. Einstein's usage of 'God' in
some contexts is more due to social conditioning of speech. This happens with
some others living in places reeking of the opium. Einstein's God is neither
omniscient nor omnipotent, but it is at least a god which he believes is
omniscient or omnipotent to most other vague people in his locale.

A. Mani
Member, Cal. Math. Soc