I can imagine Caudwell saying something like the problem of free will and
determinism is a bourgeois philosophical problem. "Free will" is another of
the many expressions of bourgeois liberty, i.e. the total independence and
autonomy of the individual from society and the universe. The desire that
this individual will not be determined by anything but itself is the dream
of bourgeois individualism and absolute individual freedom. ONce we are
comfortable with the individual as especially a social individual,  the lack
of undetermined and "free" will of the individual is not so bothersome.

Charles