March 1998

________________________________

Souls of Black Folk
A 1998 Revisitation

In 1998 we commemorate the 130th anniversary of the birth of William Edward
Burghardt Du Bois and the 35th of his death. This year, too, we mark the
95th anniversary of the publication of his seminal work, (0376) The Souls of
Black Folk and the 30th anniversary of its first reprinting by the Johnson
Reprint Corporation. This book, which we consider to be one of the most
significant Black books published in this country, speaks to us today as
meaningfully as it did at the beginning of the century.

W.E.B. Du Bois <http://www.queenhyte.com/dobb/images/du_bois.jpg>

W.E.B. Du Bois (From the archives of and used with the permission of the
Corporate Headquarters of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Baltimore, Md.)

Tony Monteiro, in an article entitled "W.E.B. Du Bois: Scholar, Scientist,
and Activist <http://members.tripod.com/~DuBois/mont.html> " (archives, the
W.E.B. Du Bois Virtual University), says that this book is a unique Du
Boisian effort to philosophically address the problem of race and the
failure of American pragmatism to provide a philosophical framework for a
social science of race.

Monteiro goes on to point out that Du Bois had studied philosophy under
William James and George Santayana at Harvard. Continuing his philosophical
studies at the University of Berlin, Du Bois concentrated on the thought of
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, a German philosopher who was one of the most
influential thinkers of the time. We are able to conclude that Du Bois built
the philosophical infrastructure for his phenomenology of race from his
study of Hegel's The Phenomenology of Mind. In any case, Monteiro goes on to
say that The Souls of Black Folk can be viewed as a narrative with Hegel, as
well as an inversion of Hegelian idealism. In summing up the significance of
Souls Monteiro says,

        In the end, Souls should be looked upon as a prolegomena of a
philosophy of a social science of race. When combined with The Philadelphia
Negro we have the essential features of a scientific philosophy of race.
Moreover, in adapting Hegel's Phenomenology of Mind to the specificities of
the U.S., and in inverting Hegelian idealism, U.S. social science is
equipped with intellectual tools to understand the unique complexities of
class and race in the U.S.

Arguably, Du Bois' adaptation of the phenomenology of the mind to the
specifics of race in America is not only prolegomenous, as Monteiro
suggests, but entails a central psychic postulate which is as valid at the
end of the century as it was in 1903. The Souls of Black Folk is not only an
enduring testimonial to the rigor of the Du Boisian mind in the analysis of
the phenomenon of race but is also a matrix for ideas of succeeding
generations of thinkers who have written the subject but who may have come
to different conclusions as to the significance of race in the quotidian
lives of African Americans. For this memoirist/ bibliographer and student of
the phenomenon of race, the Du Boisian soliloquy is a paradigm for
reflection. Du Bois says,

        . . . the Negro is a sort of seventh son, born with a veil, and
gifted with second-sight in this American world, - a world which yields him
not true self-consciousness, but only lets him see himself through the
revelation of the other world. It is a peculiar sensation, this
double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one's self through the
eyes of others of measuring one's soul by the tape of a world that looks on
in amused contempt and pity. One ever feels his twoness - an American, a
Negro: two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings: two warring
ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being
torn asunder.

Surely, the spirit of the Black intellectual has been riven by this psychic
shearing. The rift can be tracked in the writings of Black thinkers from the
turn of the century to this very day. This is not to say that this torment
is universally felt among Black Americans, because that is not so. There is
and has always been a coterie of Blacks who do not feel any ambivalence at
all as regards the matter of their race. Some Blacks find their "self"
easily, without ambiguity and without the sense of "double consciousness"
experienced by others. They seem to manage to absorb, or be absorbed
seamlessly by the culture in which they find themselves, their race
notwithstanding. Or, put in other terms, by force of will they adapt
socially to the society in which they live. As we will observe further on,
however, this capability, does not absolve them of the burden of guilt trips
on which they are often sent by some of their ethnic fellows.

As a phenomenologist of race, interested in social adaptability (or
integration) as exemplified by the foregoing observation on the adaptability
of some Blacks to the social context, I was taken by what seems to me to be
a clinical parallel which came to my attention. I find this parallel in a
response made by a physician to a question from the audience after a panel
discussion on ailments of the heart, which I attended recently. The
physician, who was White, was asked by a woman, who appeared to be Hispanic,
to comment on the phenomenon of ethnically centered ailments. The physician,
a board-certified cardiologist, responded categorically. He replied that
"culture overwhelms ethnicity." To my mind, and to that of most of the
laypeople in that room, he was saying that when persons move from one ethnic
culture to another, the new culture dominates any propensity to
ethnic-centered ailments. My fond wish is that social scientists could
categorically posit such a proposition regarding the preponderance of racial
tolerance over racism.

Unlike those Blacks who easily adapt to multiethnic settings, there are
those who isolate themselves in a Black ideological ethnic circle of
consciousness that intersects with no other. Still others migrate to circles
of ideological ethnic consciousnesses which intersect anywhere from
marginally to concentrically with others. Du Bois anticipated this in Souls
when he said that some Blacks "segregate themselves from the group-life of
both White and Black, and form an aristocracy, cultured but pessimistic,
whose bitter criticism stings while it points out no way of escape."

The symbolic, huddled mass of freedmen which Du Bois observed in 1903 from
his intellectual Mount Pisgah has dispersed over the 95 intervening years.
The descendants of those seventh sons of 1903 today pursue disparate visions
of the Promised Land. As the shadows lengthen in the twilight of this
century, a present-day thinker cannot help but notice that, if it ever was,
the Black population of America is not a monolith. There is no principle or
concept that can or will ever capture the hearts of all of us. What is
ironic in this ideological shift among the Black population is that the
bitter criticism that stings while it points out no way of escape, and which
Du Bois noted as coming from a cultured but pessimistic aristocracy that has
segregated themselves from Black group-life, now comes from the Black
underclass and is directed at the burgeoning Black middle class. The
criticism by this alienated cohort of fellow Blacks is now the spark that
generates the feelings of the twoness of soul, of thought and of
unreconciled strivings that one ever feels at the twilight of the 20th
century. It is the anguished, tortured consciousness of being Black and
middle class.

A poignant example of this came to attention no longer ago than during the
PBS program Frontline, on a show entitled, "The Two Nations of Black
America," telecast last month as a Black History Month feature. There we saw
the "dream team": Harvard University Black Studies faculty commiserating on
the "Two Nations" that are exemplified today in the Black Community. Most
poignantly we saw Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Du Bois Professor of the
Humanities and chairman of the department, in genuine anguish over his
privileged position vis-à-vis the "brothers" that he passes every day in the
street on his way to his office in Harvard Square. Having been a beleaguered
Black dean at a White college during the Black student uprising in the late
1960s, I was intrigued by Professor Gates's report of his own activism while
he was a student at Yale in the 1960s. It was an equally intriguing
experience to perceive his obvious anguish in responding to his tortured
conscience at being Black and comfortable as a tenured professor at Harvard
University. As I listened to the comments of Professor Edley of the Law
School, I could not help but think of his former colleague, Derrick Bell,
who, as a matter of conscience could not abide as a professor of law at
Harvard, given his perception of Harvard Law School's personnel practice as
regards the appointment of Blacks.

The peculiar sensation of double-consciousness endures at century's end.
However, the sense of always seeing one's self through the eyes of others,
of measuring one's soul by the tape of a world that looks on is now
experienced from through the eyes of fellow Blacks who look on more in anger
or envy, than in amused contempt and pity.

EPILOGUE

Works by and about W.E.B. Du Bois are enjoying wide availability on the
World Wide Web. One significant new resource is the W.E.B. Du Bois Virtual
University <http://members.tripod.com/~DuBois> . (There are others that we
have not yet reviewed.)

It was developed by Jennifer Wager, a graduate of the Black Studies
department at the Ohio State University. Its mission is to serve as a
clearing house for information on Du Bois and to spur intelligent
scholarship and discussion of his life, legacy, and works. This
bibliographer who has a particular interest in Du Bois' thought as a
metaphoric source, considers this source to be an excellent one and has
arrogated to himself the status of visiting scholar at the W.E.B. Du Bois
Virtual University.

A few of the files in this archive which I have found to be particularly
useful include:

*       A biographical essay on Du Bois by Tony Monteiro
*       A bibliography of dissertations on Du Bois
*       A biography of Du Bois by Jenni Wager
*       A bibliography of books about Du Bois
*       A large number of articles about Du Bois
*       Profiles of several Du Bois scholars.

Also, Souls Of Black Folk is available in its entirety, through a link to
Columbia University.

Copyright © 1998 by Harry B. Dunbar <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . All rights
reserved.