:Picking up on Jim F's discussion below
it seems to me that the structuralist and
other objections to "humanism" are
objections to "individualism". That is
 humanism/individualism as a failure
to understand Marx's notion that human in
individuals are an "ensemble of their social
relations".  The human individual is
a highly social individual. An extreme
example of what here is being termed
"humanism" would be Margaret Thatcher's
claim that "there is no such thing as
society". Her implication being that we
are just a collection of individuals. Another
term for this is "reductionism" as if' human
society can be reduced to the interaction
of all the individuals who have specific
human individual natures or individual
natural instincts , self-interests, etc.
 In bourgeois economics the natural
individual is the "rational man"  and
what Marx criticizes as the "Robinsonade". In
 bourgeois
 law it's the "reasonable man". It is a fundamental
tenet of the various
Social Darwinisms.

A fundamental critique of individualism is
that it is actually a socially determined'
ideology of the bourgeoisie.

 It is to reduce
the social whole to the sum of its parts.

The Briitsh Marxist philosopher
Christopher Cauldwell has several
essays critiquing this very well.

Ted Winslow of several lists here
calls it "external relations" when
'reality is in the form of "internal
relations" He follows Whitehead on
this, and his debates with Bertrand
'Russell. This takes it out of the realm
of human society to the whole of
reality.  So, reducing wholes to the sum of
their parts in general.

 Jim Farmelant fOn Sat, 7 Feb 2009 05:30:54 -0800 (PST) Mehmet Cagatay
<mehmetcagatayaydin at yahoo.com> writes:

> Mr. Dumain, would you please clarify why you regard Althusserian
> anti-humanism as a kind of "epater les bourgeois"?

The whole debate seems peculiarly French to me.
In France since the 19th century humanism was
seen as something that was closely tied to
the bourgeoisie.  Even someone like Sartre
struggled over whether he was a humanist
or not.  He eventually decided that his
existentialism was a kind of humanism,
but one that was different from the kinds
of humanism that the bourgeoisie typically
embraced.  In Sartre's case, I think he
identified conventional bourgeois humanism
with essentialism. Those humanisms
posited a human essence, whereas for
Sartre, existence preceded essence.

In the French debates over humanism
in the 1960s and 1970s, structuralists
and poststructuralists like Levi-Strauss,
Louis Althusser, and Michel Foucault
attempted to push the critique of humanism
much further than Sartre had been willing
to go.  Sartre's existentialism, as he realized,
was still a humanism.  He placed free will
at the center of his conception of man.
People, regardless of the circumstances
that they might find themselves in, still
retained their freedom, if only the
freedom to redefine their situation
in alternative ways.  The French
anti-humanists questioned this view
in light of such developments in the
human sciences like structural linguistics
(which Levi-Strauss to generalize into
a complete anthropology), psychoanalysis
(i.e. the work of Lacan which enjoyed
great currency in this period), and of
course, Marxism.  Althusser, was
of course, a Marxist and long time
member of the PCF.  Foucault,
who had been a student of Althusser,
was a member of the PCF for a brief
period of time.  By the 1950s, he had
renounced Marxism in favor of Nietzscheanism,
although his work was still very much
influenced by Marxism.  Levi-Strauss,
I believed, identified himself at this time
as a Marxist, although his work doesn't
strike me as being particularly Marxist.

There were certainly differences in viewpoints
between these people.  Althusser doesn't
seem to have been particularly enamored
with Levi-Strauss's work, and he didn't
like being called a structuralist.  However,
all these people's work, whether drawing
from Saussure, Freud, Marx, Nietzsche,
or Heidegger, all had certain themes in
common.  They all rejected the Sartrean
emphasis on human freedom, instead
emphasizing the extent to which human
behavior is determined by structures
of various sorts, whether these be
linguistic structures, kinship structures,
structures of epistemology (Foucault
in this *The Order of Things*), social
structures as represented by the
mode of production and associated
superstructures (i.e. Althusser), and
so forth.  They all rejected the traditional
humanist idea that their exists an unchanging
human essence which provides the basis
for freedom and equality and human rights.
For the French antihumanists, this conception
was rejected as being ideological and/or
metaphysical, and they drew variously
upon Marx, Nietzsche, and Heidegger,
in their critiques of humanism.