The right-wing hate speech polluting the debate over health care is
generating more and more threats against President Obama, some truly
frightening.

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez reports that when President Obama visited
Phoenix, Ariz. on August 17, local minister Steven Anderson of the
Faithful World Baptist Church, who strongly expresses hatred for Obama
in many of his sermons, told his congregation that he wished him dead.
In a disturbing twist, it was discovered that Chris Broughton, the man
who brought an AR 15 assault rifle to the Phoenix rally where Obama
spoke, had attended Anderson's sermon. In a later interview, Broughton
said he concurred with his pastor's wish to see Obama "die and go to
hell." As many as twelve men were seen walking around the Phoenix
Convention Center with guns on that day.

President Obama faces 30 death threats a day, a 400 percent increase
from former President Bush, according to Ronald Kessler, a veteran
investigative journalist and conservative who recently authored a book
about the Secret Service.

Kessler notes that funding cutbacks have already left the first
African-American president in U.S. history particularly vulnerable.
The book, which alleges that the cash-strapped Secret Service is
endangering the president by cutting corners, has sent shockwaves
through Washington. "There's no question his life is in danger."
"Tomorrow, Obama could be assassinated ... simply because the Secret
Service was not doing what it used to do, " said Kessler.

"We have half the number of agents we need, but requests for more
agents have fallen on deaf ears at headquarters," a Secret Service
agent told Kessler.

"There's a tremendous feeling within the Secret Service that they are
risking an assassination," Kessler told Canadian TV.
http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/protect_obama/?rc=alternet1

As CNN's Rick Sanchez said on the air, "This looks serious. This
almost looks like this is coming to the point where we are even beyond
maybe where this nation was on November 22 of 1963, when JFK was
assassinated, when there was also an environment of hate in this
country."

As racist attacks increase and protestors continue to bring guns to
presidential events, it is strikingly clear that President Obama is
vulnerable to harm. Are the Secret Service and FBI doing enough to
protect him? Will they confront and investigate those who threaten our
president so that they can be prosecuted and jailed?

We cannot allow funding problems to weaken the organizations charged
with protecting the life of our nation's president. In 2003, the
Secret Service and FBI became part of the Department of Homeland
Security and now must compete with 20 other agencies for oversight
from their chief, Janet Napolitano. She must use her authority to
ensure that the Secret Service and FBI put more agents on the ground
to protect President Obama and confront and investigate those who
threaten him. It is time for Americans of every stripe to insist that
the Secret Service and FBI operate at the highest levels of
effectiveness.

Sign your name to this petition so that Janet Napolitano, Secretary of
Homeland Security hears the message loud and clear. And please pass
this message on to your friends and colleagues. It is a difficult time
in America, and we have to stand up and make sure our president is
safe.

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/protect_obama/?rc=alternet1