OJim Farmelant

> Yes, Ronald Reagan was the master of this, but
> he had his predecessors too.  Back in the
> 1950s, President Eisenhower pulled a similar act too.
> He was famous for his press conferences with his jumbled syntax,
> his confusing and confuesed answers, which aroused jeers
> from the pundits but which greatly increased his appeal
> to his base.  We have his diaries where he boasted of
> doing just that.  It was, after all, rather unlikely that
> the man who had been the successful  Supreme Allied Commander
> in Europe during WWII would have been a dope.

^^^^^
CB: Agree. Believe it or not, Eisenhower crossed my mind when I wrote
the above; just I didn't want to get too sidetracked from the Tea
Party. Not only that, Ike's "Military Industrial Complex" is still a
very good left concept. When we say Nixon was to the left of some
Democrats today, Hell , Ike was big in the Popular Front.

  Actually, Lincoln was probably folksier campaigning than the actual
"level" of his intellect.

George Bush , the Elder's failed effort to dumb down  was the one who
exposed the Reagan ruse somewhat, because he had to try to make such a
switch from his already established personality. How can the former
Cen Intelligence Ag Director be  a yokel             LOL

The other Tea Party central Reaganite trope is running to be the
government by running against "gov'ment" in general. Government is bad
, but I'm running to be in the bad government. And of course, "we hold
The Individual to be sacred".