Now that the poet RS Thomas has died the role of embittered Welsh stoic
and millenarian is surely vacant, and waiting for Mark Jones.

The Telegraph obituary, 27 September 2000

R S THOMAS, who has died aged 87, was a fervent defender of Wales and
the Welsh language - which made it odd that he should have been one of
the best poets writing in English since the Second World War.

The style of his verse - spare, harsh, austere (though lit by sudden
flares of lyrical splendour) - reflected the appearance of the man. But
the economy of the phrasing carries complex meanings, and the surface
clarity deep resonance. Such effects were not easily achieved:

Man, you must sweat
And rhyme your guts taut, if you'd build
Your verse a ladder.
While each poem stands by itself, the work as a whole reflects his
religious odyssey as a clergyman in the Church in Wales.

The early volumes - The Stones of the Field (1946), An Acre of Land
(1952) and Song at the Year's Turning (1955) - evoke the tension of his
encounters with Welsh hill farmers, represented in the character of Iago
Prytherch. Their primitive lives appeared deeply shocking to the young
Thomas.

Ruthlessly unsentimental, he did not hesitate, in his fiercer moods, to
depict the hill farmers as vacant, miserly and mean-spirited. But what
had he himself to offer?

Ransack you brainbox, pull out the drawers
That rot in your heart's dust, and what have you to give
To enrich his spirit or the way he lives?

Besides, Thomas found a certain magnificence in Iago Prytherch's
capacity to endure, which placed him beyond mockery or pity, and spoke
of a common humanity:

The dirt is under my cracked nails;
The tale of my life is besmirched with dung;
The phlegm rattles. But what I am saying
Over the grasses rough with dew
Is, Listen, listen, I am a man like you.
The recognition of Iago Prytherch as a universal prototype posed in
stark and urgent form the old question of how to reconcile human
suffering with the idea of a beneficent deity. "Nothing I'd been told in
theological college," Thomas reflected, "was any help at all in the
circumstances."

He specifically rejected what he called "the grovelling of the
theologians", who glibly pronounced that suffering enobled - plainly, it
did not - or who hazarded that it constituted some form of test, as in
the trials inflicted upon Job.

Thomas's succeeding volumes - Poetry for Supper (1958), Tares (1961) and
Bread of Truth (1963) - show him sometimes close to despair over the
challenge to faith. Yet he was coming to accept that, on the religious
plane, suffering is not to be explained, but rather embraced as an
ineffable mystery at the heart of existence.

The title poem of his next volume, Pietà (1966), reflects this position:

Always the same hills
Crowd the horizon,
Remote witnesses
Of the still scene.

And in the foreground
The tall Cross,
Sombre, untenanted,
Aches for the Body
That is back in the cradle
Of a maid's arms.

Thenceforth the Cross became a central theme in Thomas's work. And from
it came the cry - "My God, my God, wherefore hast thou forsaken me?" -
which suggested the hidden God, the Deus absconditus of Isaiah 45: 15.

Thomas had introduced this concept in some of his earlier poems, but it
found its fullest expression in the volumes he published in the 1970s -
H'm (1972), Laboratories of the Spirit (1975) and Frequences (1978):

It is this great absence
that is like a presence, that compels
me to address it without hope
of a reply. It is a room I enter

from which someone has just
gone, the vestibule for the arrival
of one who has not yet come.
I modernise the anachronism

of my language, but he is no more here
than before. Genes and molecules
have no more power to call
him up than the incense of the Hebrews

at their altars. My equations fail
as my words do. What resource have I
other than the emptiness without him of my whole
being, a vacuum he may not abhor?

In bleaker moods Thomas postulates a God moved to demonic laughter at
the plight of humanity, or even imagines a creator prepared to scrap his
own creation:

And God thought: Pray away,
Creatures; I'm going to destroy
It. The mistake's mine,
If you like. I have blundered
Before; the glaciers erased
My error.

By the early 1970s Thomas had travelled far from the dogmas he had
imbibed in youth. Institutional religion, he came to believe, was dead.
But something was still required:

a faith to enable me to outstare
the grinning faces of the inmates of its asylum,
the failed experiments that God put away.

Thomas's final volumes of verse - including Later Poems 1972-82 (1983),
Destinations (1985), Experimenting with an Amen (1986) and Mass For Hard
Times (1992) - show a mind grown sceptical of "the anthropomorphisms/ of
the fancy". He was now searching for a more primitive God, to be
encountered beyond the veil of intellect and language.

So Thomas wages war with science and technology, which distance the
possibility of relgious insight:

What anthem have our computers
to insert into the vacuum caused
by the break in transmission
of the song upon Patmos?

With a few odd exceptions - as in his poem Suddenly when he discerns the
voice of God in the chainsaw - Thomas took headlong flight from the
modern world. "The attempt of contemporary Christianity to be reasonable
in the face of science," he wrote, "makes it so innocuous."

The poet who had once, in his radio play The Minister (1953), savaged
the life-denying hypocrisies of Nonconformity, held at the end of his
life that such blind bigotry is preferable to the vain assumptions of
self-sufficiency which the machine age has conferred.

Escape from contemporary life appeared to Thomas to be as much as a
psychological as a religious necessity. He even felt the need to be
disengaged from his own poetry: "The more one woos words," he noted in
the 1960s, "the more desperately in love with them one grows, the more
coquettish and refractory they become; whereas a certain insouciance or
aloofness in the writer will often bring them fawning about his feet."

Thomas's poems frequently open conversationally, as though buttonholing
the reader with his latest thought. In his life, though, he adopted an
extreme misanthropy; Byron Rogers once wrote that his hardness and
severity "make one feel like Edgar Linton".

Thomas's final flight was from his own identity:

All my life I tried to believe
in the importance of what Thomas
should say now, do next. . .
Impossible dreamer!
All those years the demolition of the identity proceeded.
Fast as the cells constituted
themselves, they were replaced.
It was not
I who lived, but life rather
that lived me.

The son of a Welsh sea captain, Ronald Stuart Thomas was born in Cardiff
on March 29 1913.

My mother gave me the breast's milk
Generously, but grew mean after,
Envying me my detached laughter.

My father was a passionate man,
Wrecked after leaving the sea
In her love's shallows. He grieves in me.

The boy was brought up in Liverpool and Holyhead where he attended local
schools before reading Latin at the University of Wales, Bangor.

"I had one or two friends at Bangor," Thomas recalled in old age. "but
we didn't keep in touch after. I haven't got any now." There were even
people - one or two of them - who ventured on "Ron". But when he played
rugger he was distinguished from all the other Thomases in the team by
his initials R S.

After Bangor, Thomas, who had "heard the call" at 17, went to St
Michael's Theological College at Llandaff. It was only at this point, in
his twenties, that he began to learn Welsh.

Ordained in 1936 he took up a curacy at Chirk, five miles north of
Oswestry and only just in Wales. In 1942 he moved further south, but
still on the Welsh borders, to became rector of Manafon, then in
Montgomeryshire, where he remained 12 years.

These remote livings suited his temperament. "One of my problems with
the Church was its support for war, praying for victory. That was one of
the reasons I was happy to take a rural parish." Another reason was his
view that "cities are terrible places. Evil. I smell evil the moment I
get off the train. Everything is charade, a play act papering over
enormous chasms".

Thomas's first volumes of poetry attracted the attention of Alan Pryce-
Jones, who in 1952 commended them on the wireless. In 1956 John Betjeman
wrote a preface for Thomas: "The 'name' which has the honour to
introduce this fine poet to a wider public will be forgotten long before
that of R S Thomas." Thomas agreed: "Most people who read poetry are
interested in Betjemanesque verse - Betjeman has jingle, I suppose - or
in Ella Wheeler Wilcox. My poetry is not for them." Indeed Thomas
avoided 19th-century poetry because he feared its obvious rhythms might
upset his own sense of metre.

In 1954 Thomas moved west to Eglwysfach, 10 miles north of Aberystwyth,
where he was vicar until 1967. Most of his parishioners, he admitted,
would have preferred a different incumbent. "My nose is too sharp.
People don't like to be seen through."

Even the permitted pleasures appeared questionable to him. "Happiness?"
he queried, "I don't understand about happiness. I find myself saying to
countless couples when I marry them, "I hope you'll be happy. But it's
too elusive and fleeting. I'm too honest to think anything remains the
same."

Thomas's next living, at Aberdaron on the Lleyn peninsula, proved
entirely to his taste. "We get eight months of winter here," he
observed. "Coming here has put me in touch with things just as elemental
as Welsh hill farmers," he explained, "you know, the sea, sky, the wind,
those sorts of things."

There were no newspapers in his house; still less, television. To feed
his intellect he read philosophy, while of the poets he favoured Yeats
and Wallace Stevens - though latterly he came to prefer T S Eliot to
Yeats: "I've had enough of the blarney."

Thomas's defence of Wales and the Welsh language became ever more
extreme, until in 1990 he called for "non-violent night attacks" on
English properties in the principality. He could not support Plaid Cymru
because it recognised Westminster. "Britain does not exist for me," he
explained, "It's an abstraction forced on the Welsh people."

But Thomas castigated the Welsh themselves who, "through indifference,
lack of backbone, snobbishness and laziness", had chosen to speak
English and to cast away their inheritance. They were, he had written as
early as 1955:

an impotent people
Sick with inbreeding
Worrying the carcase of an old song.

His last parish was also on the Lleyn peninsula, at Bwich-y-Rhiw, where
he was rector between 1972 and 1978. In retirement he continued to live
in the area, though after his first wife's death in 1991 he went briefly
to Anglesey where he rented a whitewashed cottage in the shadow of a
power station.

Did he miss his wife, a journalist wondered? "I suppose so," he replied.
Was he lonely? "I was lonely when I lived with her." Yet one of his last
poems, A Marriage, was a touching and delicate tribute to his wife.

Thomas's Collected Poems 1945-1990 was published in 1993, and his
Autobiographies in 1997. Asked if he wished to be remembered by
posterity, he was typically unforthcoming. "I don't mind at all," he
volunteered. "It's quite immaterial."

R S Thomas received the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry in 1964, and the
Cheltenham Prize in 1993. "Prizes are irrelevant," he said.

He married first, in 1936, Mildred Eldridge, an artist; they had a son.
He married secondly, in 1996, Elisabeth Vernon.

In message <000201c0316a$a3d036c0$a9188cd4@mjones>, Mark Jones
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I unsubbed for a bit and when I came back I discovered what?
>
>Only that this hallowed site has become a metastatic base area for LBO
>and LM congenital idiocy.
>
>I'm here to apply some chemo.
>
>Get ready, Doug, Jimbo and other ghosts and ghouls.
>
>+ Mark +

James Heartfield

Great Expectations: the creative industries in the New Economy
is available from Design Agenda,
4.27 The Beaux Arts Building,
10-18 Manor Gardens,
London, N7 6JT