On May 2, 2014, at 7:42 PM, Louis Proyect <l...@panix.com> wrote:

> On 5/2/14 7:27 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
>>
>> There was an earlier Crimean War, you know.
>
> The other thing to keep in mind is that Putin doesn't care about American
> bases on his doorstep as long as they are used to keep the jihadists at bay.

I doubt that that's so. Of course he hasn't called me lately --
I suppose he's been busy -- so I can't say for sure.

The Bohm piece you linked overlooks the main point, which is that
the US has failed in Afghanistan, and is pulling out. The US was
no more successful in consolidating control over the Affers
than the Sovs were a few years back.

So the US keeps a few face-saving 'bases'. So what? It's a
stalemate, preferably a quiet one. That's always been the
best state of affairs in Afghanistan.

It's a very different matter from affirmatively carving the
Ukraine out into the Euro zone.

No doubt my pal Volodya would prefer a relatively quiet
Afghanistan -- an Afghanistan not effectively in current
play in the Great Game. At this point, who wouldn't --
except maybe Delhi? But they're in no position to intervene
directly, and both the Russkis and the Yanks have recently
had their heads handed to them on a platter in that
rugged country.

Let's hope they've both learned their lesson. For our
lifetime, anyway.

Michael Smith
m...@smithbowen.net

A man should take care not to be made a proverb; and, therefore, should avoid
having any one topick of which people can say, "We shall hear him upon it."

--Dr J