Gary, you're so right:"The Greens were faced with an open goal after the
budget, and they should have called the Labor Party's bluff, and forced
them to be the only ones to pass the supply bills."

If the Greens had done that -- and identified so strongly with the rest of
us -- they would have been made electorally  and their '3rd Party' fortunes
would have been guaranteed. So I reckon we just had a 'moment' in
Australian politics that will still be played out over the next few years.
IF the Greens had rejected the budget in toto there would have been a major
shift in the groundswell but instead they sided with the bosses.

As the front office spin goes:"The Greens are the only party to be powered
from the bottom-up, engaging members and supporters every step of the way.
We have the courage to stand with you to create a more caring society..."
It looks a tad hallow at the moment, even hypocritical.

The other element in the mix is a discernable  shift within some trade
unions. It isn't huge  -- not yet anyway --  but its' clear that the ranks
are a bit cheesed off that many of their officials have been mum over the
budget and have merely channeled  Bill Shorten's platitudes.At last
weekends rally here in Brisbane there was a flagged trade union presence --
esp ETU, MUA, CPSU and NTEU. And what was really interesting was that this
recent platform was way to the left of the one last time and the attendees'

Talk about hanging on every word!

There was no organised Greens presence either -- unlike last time.

The anger  is very tangible...and my reading is that folk are in a sort
of campaign mode as they realize that one-off rallies are insufficient to
the task before us. Maybe we had advantages here in Brisbane in terms of
the coalition that's leading this, but we know that the 2003 Iraq
protest syndrome haunts the movements -- the one-off thing followed by
abatement. The complication this time around is that we
aren't confronted with an offshore issue -- but a massive change to our
collective every day lives and the future both of ourselves and of our
 children. Its' even a bit more than a 'hip pocket' response as the budget
brutality seeds so much of our existence.

And having just recently ridded the chambers in most states of the ALP
calling those dogs back isn't really cause for excitement --neither
nationally nor in any state like Queensland.

So folk are facing a conundrum...at the same time as the chronic cynicism
and anti-politics attitudes pervades the population, the community has to
deal with the complication  of 'what is to be done?'  if we can't rely to
the pollies to do it....Yes: not even the Greens!

Of course in the sweep of things -- the neoliberal arc stretching back to
Hawke and Keating,back 30 years,  herein we have a bit of a fight back mood
that not only threatens the Laborist consensus but maybe the Greens carte
blanche. How that plays out is sure to be interesting. What potential is
there for industrial action? What campaign forms will be engineered? What
sectors will sign up to activity? How much leeway has Labor (or the Greens
for that matter) got to sabotage a more radical edge to this and an extra-
parliamentary dynamic?

Of course, any motion around this undermines the racism embedding in the
refugee push...which is a kingpin of the federal government ideological
credibility.The racism   Labor and LNP helped create may not be sufficient
to prop  them up among what should have been loyal sectors of
the population. But I expect we'll get a lot more of the asylum boat
shebang in Howard style mode.

dave riley
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu