On 7/26/14 8:35 PM, michael yates via Marxism wrote:
As I was reading it, I thought to myself that Louis Proyect would not agree
with any of it.

In our email exchanges, Horace emphasized that he was no fan of Gaddafi, an impression that might have been gleaned from his condemnation of NATO. This is what he wrote in 2010:

Muammar al-Gaddafi has established himself as an enemy of the unification of the peoples of Africa for over 40 years. Last week, Gaddafi exceeded his conservative instincts when he stated before a group of young students that Nigeria should be split in two. Instead of motivating the students to work for the transformation and unification of the peoples of Nigeria as one prerequisite for the unification of Africa, Gaddafi called for the country to be divided on religious grounds. He exposed his ignorance of African religious and spiritual traditions because there was no room for followers of African religious beliefs in his call for the division of this society. This call for the division of Nigeria is one more effort to break up Nigerian society so that this society is weakened and its people subjected to more exploitation and manipulation. For 40 years Gaddafi had supported the butchers and dictators in Africa. Starting with his military support for Idi Amin of Uganda and other murderers such as Foday Sankoh and Charles Taylor, this militarist in Libya was an obstacle to African liberation. For a short while after Nelson Mandela rescued him from obscurity, Gaddafi had sought to use his wealth to buy the leadership of the African Union (AU). He was made to understand that the unity of Africa was more profound than the meeting of leaders of states. The statements of Gadafi on Nigeria must be condemned in the strongest terms and it is time to strip away the fallacy that Gaddafi stood in the ranks of African revolutionary leadership.

full: http://pambazuka.org/en/category/panafrican/63299

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu