A phone call this morning from my granddaughter shocked me with the
realization that it was my 72nd birthday.  What can one say about being so
bloody old?  Well, for a start there are good friends of mine who did not
make it and they are in my thoughts now.

I would like, of course, to be able to say I have grown in wisdom and all
that, but alas I remain as ever fundamentally embedded in a kind of wistful
foolishness, that makes me even now still perpetually optimistic about what
Trotsky called 'the Communist future'.

Once in the City Square in Brisbane about 1977 I read at a demonstration
the following lines from Trotsky's testament.  I was roundly booed for my
pains such was the strength of anti-communism among people who saw
themselves as civil libertarians.  But the words are still beautiful and
they come back to me now on my birthday

"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it
wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room.  I can see the
bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above
the wall, and sunlight everywhere.  Life is beautiful.  Let the future
generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence and enjoy it to
the full."

comradely

Gary
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu