#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

A few bright poetic flashes from Indian Film songs:
1. At the end of my journey, I have nothing left, except my sins which are
    haunting me to my grave
    - from the Hindi film "Pavitra Paapi" - The Pious Sinner.
2. I have learnt everything except being worldly wise. It is true that I am
    innocent and I would like to remain like that.
    Those who die for the heart, die poor
    - From Raj Kapoor's 1955 Hindi Film "Anari" - The Innocent
3. With all the comforts in life, my insecurity is going up
    - From Guru Datt's "Kagaz Ke Phool" - The paper Flower
4. I felt the whole world is my family, but mine is a lonely life
    - From the Telugu Film, "Chakram" - The wheel
5. I have tasted life only in my dreams
    - From the film "Umrao Jaan", an Urdu film about the life of a Danseuse
      and poetess of Lucknow in the 19th Century.
6. Oh great sage! Oh great soul!
                                  Pray tell me! Enlighten me!
                                  Which is untruth? Which is truth?
                                  Which is temporal? Which is forever?
                                  Which is cause? Which is action?
                                  Which is unity? Which is infinity?
                                  Which is virtue? Which is sin?
                                  Which is immoral? Which is moral?
                                  Which is white? Which is black?
                                  Which is hell? Which is heaven?
                                  Which is yours? Which is mine?
                                  Which is life? Which is death?
                                  Yesterday's dream is today's reality

                                  Today's sorrow is tomorrow's song
        Oh great sage! Oh great soul!
                                 Pray tell me! Enlighten me!
                       -   A poem by the great Indian Telugu revolutionary poet
Sri Sri from the Telugu film. "The Hungry Nation".
May be the flavour is lost in the translation. Most of Bollywood films and
songs up to the 70's were in Urdu language. May be that is the reason why the
poetry is so rich.

Vijaya Kumar Marla