#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I’d be interested to know what Michael K. and others who closely follow the
Syrian opposition make of this report. Can either of the two organizations be
characterized as more representative of the embattled population and its
aspirations?

Al Qaeda group seizes bastion of Western-backed rebels in Syria's Idlib region
By Mariam Karouny
Reuters
November 1 2014

BEIRUT - Islamist militants affiliated to al Qaeda seized the last remaining
stronghold of Western-backed rebels in Syria’s northwest province of Idlib on
Saturday after days of fighting, rebels and a monitoring group said.

Backed by other hardline Islamist groups, the Nusra Front are waging a major
military campaign against the Syria Revolutionaries’ Front led by Jamal
Maarouf, a key figure in the armed opposition to President Bashar al-Assad,
after accusing him of being corrupt and working for the West against them.

The Nusra Front is al Qaeda's official affiliate in the Syrian civil war and
was once one of the strongest insurgent groups fighting to topple Assad. But it
has been overshadowed by the Islamic State, which has seized swathes of
northern and eastern Syria and is now being targeted by U.S.-led air strikes.

In the past few days, the Nusra Front captured several villages in the Jabal
al-Zawiya region of Idlib province and on Saturday it entered the village of
Deir Sonbol, the stronghold of the Revolutionaries’ Front, forcing Maarouf to
pull out.

"Dozens of his fighters defected and joined Nusra, that is why the group won,"
Rami Abdulrahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights told Reuters.
A Nusra fighter confirmed the report, saying: “They left him because they knew
he was wrong and delusional."

"He left his fighters in the battle and pulled out. Last night, we heard them
on the radio shouting 'Abu Khaled (Maarouf) escaped, Abu Khaled escaped'," he
added.

Maarouf's group is loosely defined as part of the "Free Syrian Army", a term
used to refer to dozens of groups fighting to overthrow Assad. They have little
or no central coordination and are often in competition with each other.

Hours after his withdrawal, a defiant Maarouf issued a video statement in which
he vowed to continue the fight against Nusra and said his group would return to
Jabal al-Zawiya.

“For a week now, Nusra Front has put the villages of Jabal al-Zawiya under
siege (as if) they were the 'Noseiry' regime, " Maarouf said in the video,
using a derogatory term for Assad's Alawite sect, which is an offshoot of
Shi'ite Islam.

"I (want to) clarify why we pulled out of the villages of Jabal al-Zawiya. (It
is) so that we preserve civilian blood because this group does not hesitate to
kill civilians."
A source in a group affiliated to Maarouf denied that any fighters had defected
to the Nusra Front.

The Syria Revolutionaries’ Front is one of the biggest groups in the Western
and Saudi-backed opposition to Assad.

The United States plans to expand military support to moderate opposition
anti-Assad groups as part of its strategy to defeat the ultra-hardline Islamic
State.