#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

re: equating satire and ridicule of the religion of the powerful (Catholic
Church) with degrading the religion of the weak and powerless -

”You claim for yourself the tradition of anticlericalism, but pretend not
to know the fundamental difference between this and Islamophobia. The first
comes from a long, hard and fierce struggle against a Catholic priesthood
which actually had formidable power, which had - and still has - its own
newspapers, legislators, lobbies, literary salons and a huge property
portfolio. The second attacks members of a minority faith deprived of any
kind of influence in the corridors of power. It consists of distracting
attention from the well-fed interests which rule this country, in favour of
inciting the mob against citizens who haven’t been invited to the party, if
you want to take the trouble to realise that - for most of them -
colonisation, immigration and discrimination have not given them the most
favourable place in French society. Is it too much to ask a team which, in
your words “is divided between leftists, extreme leftists, anarchists and
Greens”, to take a tiny bit of interest in the history of our country and
its social reality?"

http://www.leninology.co.uk/2015/01/charlie-hebdo-not-racist-if-you-say-so.

I would think that the ability to distinguish between the oppressed and
oppressor is the ABC of any type of leftist worldview.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Daniel Koechlin via Marxism <