#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Why, then, have we come to imagine that we are living in particularly
plural societies, in which our cultural identities are all-important? The
answer lies in a complex set of social, political and economic changes over
the past half century, changes that include the narrowing of the political
sphere, the collapse of the left, the demise of class politics, the erosion
of more universalist visions of social change. Many of these changes helped
pave the way for multicultural policies. At the same time, the
implementation of such policies helped create a more fragmented society.
Or, to put it another way, multicultural policies have helped create the
very problems they were meant to have resolved. I want to demonstrate this
through two examples. The first is a riot in Britain, of which you may not
have heard, the second a cartoon crisis in Denmark, about which everyone
has heard. . .

https://rdln.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/whats-wrong-with-multi-culturalism/