#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Proyect wrote:

Well, I am not interested in email debates to tell you the truth. What in
the world can anybody get out of anything you have written here, messages
devoid of data or evidence or statistics or the rich historical and social
fabric of Greek society? When I am interested in airing my views, I do it
on my blog and usually after having read a substantial amount of material
as I did the other day on Syriza. I read at least 25 articles to put
together a decently researched article, mostly based on first-rate
reporting from Links in Australia.

Right now I am researching an article on the Greek economic problems that
is based on articles I have already read by Elmar Altvater, Stathis
Kouvelakis and Stavros Mavroudeas. I am following up with reading every
article that Michael Roberts has written about Greece.

When I began writing about Ukraine, it was only after reading books on
Crimea and Ukraine and about 20 articles.

That is because I take my ideas seriously whether you agree with them or
not. Your problem is that your contributions to this forum are superficial
and utterly lacking in substance. This would not be a problem if you
weren't so god-damned provocative. Not everybody has the motivation to go
to a research library or pour through articles on the net to make a
contribution but at least they are sensible enough not to pretend that they
are making a contribution to Marxism based on a 200 or 300 word email.

********************
Provocation can sometimes be in the eye of the reader. Some might say that
hurling epithets--sectarian, Spartacist, ignoramus-- as a first reply
to what began as a series of angular but fairly polite comments from me,
might have had something to do with the escalating acerbity of this
exchange. A sectarian is apparently anyone who disagrees with Louis from
the left, an ignoramus anyone who ventures to express an opinion
without offering a 10,000-word disquisition .

Since my previous post did not make it onto Marxmail in its entirety, I
will reiterate here that the "sectarian" Weekly Worker is far less
impatient of debate than the dedicated anti-sectarian, Louis Proyect.
Louis emphasizes
the importance of background knowledge, and his  diligence in acquiring
information is commendable. As a former computer programmer, he is no doubt
data-driven. He seems not to appreciate, however, that data are only useful
in so far as they can be deployed within a logical framework. He has thus
far failed to bring his factual knowledge to bear within the framework of
the questions I have raised and the arguments I have presented.His only
conceptual gauge--and basis for political allegiance--seems to be
the narrow quantitative one congenial to a man of his metier: the number of
followers and/or votes a given leftwing party or personality is able to
attract. The facts are indispensable. But a tangle of logically
disconnected and undigested facts can obscure rather than reveal. I believe
this insight is expressed in a saying about forests and  trees.

Since this thread seems to me to have run its course, I will make no
further postings to it. I would only point out that the question underlying
this exchange--one that Louis dismisses as of no interest to anyone but
diehard sectarians like me--is one that has preoccupied Marxism since its
birth: reform or revolution. If Louis thinks this question has been
settled by history in the way that liberal opinion assures us that it has
been settled-- by the triumph of neoliberalism and the collapse of the
Soviet Union-- he might do us the favor of saying so. Absent such a white
flag, it is unclear from what heights of empirical wisdom he deems this
question unworthy of discussion or.why, for that matter, he continues to
style himself a Marxist. Eduard Bernstein, after all, ultimately discarded
the label. For my part, I am convinced that the question remains pertinent,
and will inevitably pose itself again in the events now unfolding in Greece
and Europe.

Jim Creegan
James Creegan <sectaria...@gmail.com>
5:04 PM (3 minutes ago)