#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

1] I made myself sit through Netanyahu's speech to Congress.   I almost
made it to the end but the spectacle of all that unbridled toadying was too
appalling.  This was the highest assembly of a once mighty bourgeois
democracy and to see them fawn and leap to their feet to applaud every
cliche from the mouth of the butcher was quite revolting.  There is no
gravitas and no dignity in that place; none at all, even of the
conservative kind. Comrades in the US will no doubt be puzzled by why I was
so shocked, but I was.

2] I was working late and for some reason or other I had left the tv on
droning away in the background in my study and quite suddenly the Northern
Irish accent penetrated the cloud of my deafness.  I realized it was the
film *Hunger* about Bobby Sands, something which I had resolutely refused
to watch following Louis' review of the film.

I had entered the movie at the scene where the priest was arguing with
Sands about the hunger strike. This was probably the crucial political
moment in the film.  The narrative here dipped into one of the two
principal alternatives that the bourgeois propagandists have evolved to
deal with the Irish revolution.  Instead of the Romeo and Juliet scenario
where love is doomed by political bigotry, this had the revolutionary as
full of a passionate intensity - the heart with one purpose alone through
summer and winter and which turns into a stone that troubles the living
stream.

Not for nothing did the priest, appalled by Sands'"fanaticism", hastily
reach for a cigarette.  What sane man wouldn't when confronted with such
insanity?

Then we had the only explicitly political moment the voice over of Thatcher
talking about the gunmen turning on themselves.  I heard this statement
when it was first made.

She said "Faced with the failure of their discredited cause, the men of
violence have chosen in recent months to play what may well be their last
card. They have turned their violence against themselves through the prison
hunger strike to death. They seek to work on the most basic of human
emotions—pity—as a means of creating tension and stoking the fires of
bitterness and hatred".

It was a statement of such appalling cruelty and callousness, that I had
always believed that it would be rejected by all people of decency.  The
film however then proceeded to act as an illustration of Thatcher's
statement.

The agonizing depiction of how a man starves himself to death then
followed. I continued to watch.  I do not know why.  But in a sense I felt
I owed it to the memory of Sands - a memory which was being so scandalously
betrayed by this film.

Louis has talked of how all the politics of an anti-imperialist struggle
were kept from the film.  The discussions that Sands had with a man who was
presumably his election agent was shown in such a way that Sands could not
hear what was being said.  Then at the end we had the statements of how he
had been elected to parliament and how the demands of the hunger strikers
were won.  The world wide movement in which millions like my self took part
was not mentioned at all.

No wonder this film won so many awards.

comradely

Gary