#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

We are all patriotic.  Let's start with the Star Spangled Banner.

You all are familiar with some of it, but perhaps some of you may not know
this particular stanza: Don't worry, I won't sing it:

"No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight, or
the gloom of the grave."  Keep in mind that the militias referred to in the
Second Amendment seem to have been the groups that hunt down escaped slaves.

The elevation of slave owners' property rights easily morphed into the
expansive property rights of those who hired wage labor.  This power
allowed capitalists to call upon the state rather than militias of slave
captors to keep workers' rights and wages in check.

This arrangement supposedly served the public interest because low wages
mean high profits, which, in turn meant increased investment, which
translates into shared prosperity, presumably even including otherwise
downtrodden labor -- a bourgeois version of the unity of opposites.

https://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2015/05/18/the-dysfunctionality-of-slavery-and-neoliberalism/

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department