#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The real star of the Jurassic Park films was not the T-Rex, brachiosaurus or velociraptor, but Malcolm: the sardonic, black-clad philosopher-fool of this morality tale, who sees from the beginning that the park is an accident waiting to happen – a scientist sex-god who roamed the screens of this Earth long before everyone went mad for Dr Brian Cox and “geek chic”.

Michael Crichton, author of the original novel, and Steven Spielberg realised this, and elevated him to the status of protagonist for the sequel, which opens with another palaeontological Easter egg. When we expect the camera to cut to a roaring dinosaur, we instead get a shot of Malcolm yawning on the New York subway. Malcolm, you see, is a chaos theorist, and the Greek word for chaos also means “yawn”.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/12/jurassic-world-t-rex-malcolm-jeff-goldblum-dinosaurs-chaos-theory

---

Before saying anything about this retread, I should state for the record that I have a soft spot for some of Spielberg’s work, particularly “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” and “ET”. I also found “Jurassic Park” entertaining but less so for the rampaging Tyrannosaurus Rex than for Jeff Goldblum’s character Dr. Ian Malcolm who had such memorable lines: “What’s so great about discovery? It’s a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world.” (I wonder what Edward Abbey would have made of this film.)

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/06/12/mindless-entertainment-while-awaiting-the-next-mass-extinction/