#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

-----Original Message----- From: Gary MacLennan via Marxism
Sent: Sunday, July 5, 2015 8:39 AM
To: Michael Karadjis
Subject: Re: [Marxism] Fwd: Whatever happens to Greece, the euro is unsustainable | Business Spectator

#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hitting the pay wall every time. Shame because I am trying to pay attention to what the thoughtful bourgeois commentators are saying. There has to be intense traffic behind the scenes. We are fed rubbish in the main media,
but occasionally a serious article appears.

The Guardian had an article saying that thus all could be the Eurozone's
Sarajevo moment, when the great powers stumbled into WW1. I think the
analogy is false and the history bad, but what I took out from that was the
idea of a fear of losing control was setting in within bourgeois ranks.

Another significant item (I thought) was that the Americans forced the IMF
to release the paper which substantially supports Syriza's position.
Certainly Tsirpas seized upon this.

There was also talk in the Guardian that this crisis could be another
Lehman Brothers moment.  My reaction to that is "Who knows?" and that is
precisely the point. Uncertainty is bad for the famous "animal spirits" of
the ruling class.

Then the Guardian editorialized about this being the worst of all possible
outcomes.  A Yes vote would mean that the Bureaucrats in Europe had
succeeded in binging down a government. And that could turn out to be a
Pyrrhic Victory. Destroying the pro-European Left, as Galbraith pointed
out, would lead to a very uncertain future.

Finally there is some suggestion that the leading thug Shauble might be
blinking. He mumbled something about not leaving the Greek people in the
lurch. If the Guardian's interpretation of what he has to say is accurate
then he has been got at; possibly by the Americans.

So what to make of all this? I keep thinking of the Barthes' article where he discusses "ex-nomination". That is an ugly word but basically what he was saying was that the capitalists had succeeded in getting names for them removed from public language. Only we old lefties talk about the "ruling class" and when we do eyes glaze over everywhere. My students, who actually
loved me, used to giggle affectionately at Old Gary ranting again.

I am also reading, with a friend, Walter Benjamin on Language as Such. All
very mystical but he too talks about a language that names and brings
things into being. So what has all this to do with the price of bread?

Well my take on the Greek crisis is that the neo-Keynesian Left (eat your heart out, Gary), are partly responsible for a situation where the forces of capitalism have been named. This is because Syriza has campaigned not
for soviets but against austerity and so have struck a great chord with
millions throughout Europe.

As a consequence the capitalists are out there in all their frightful
thuggery and ugliness.  And they are elements among them who are quite
unhappy at being there and being named. There has to be anger in bourgeois
circles at the intransigence of the Germans who have brought us to this
situation.

It is Sunday morning now, here in Brisbane. May the winds of change that
are blowing in Athens turn out to be a tornado and sweep away the powers
that be.

comradely

Gary