#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On Jul 12, 2015, at 10:15 AM, Joseph Catron via Marxism
<marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

> I broadly agree with Lou here. (Yes, somebody mark the calendar.) You
> fellows can parse the details however you like, but at the end of the day, the
> problem will always be that the Greek working class stood alone against the
> combined forces of global capital. They might hypothetically have had the
> most principled leaders and brilliant strategy in the history of
> revolutionary politics. That still wouldn't have given them the ingredients
> needed for a winning fight.

As in “there is no alternative”? You think Syriza would have risked foreign
intervention, civil war, a coup d’etat if they had acted in more forcefully, in
accordance with the Thessaloniki program? Quite likely. Would that heightened
class conflict have inspired support throughout the world? Almost certainly.
With what outcome? there aren’t any certain outcomes.

If this is what you fear “at the end of the day”, why support the election of a
left-leaning government like Syriza? Why put the Greek masses in such potential
peril? Why not re-elect Samaris’ New Democracy? Arguably, that would be the
better choice. It would have cooperated with the troika and its austerity
program with far less friction and damage to the Greek economy and living
standards than we’ve seen over the past six months.