#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The Prince of Darkness is fond of tweeting.  He has recently characterised
Australia as a "great country" but "ungovernable".  My first reaction when
I read that was an incredulous "I wish".  But there is a deeper point at
stake. Murdoch is on the surface referring to the Australian Senate where
micro parties hold the balance of power and they have proved responsive to
the people and irresponsible in Murdoch's term.  They have delayed aspects
of the austerity program the government launched on taking office two years
ago.

But there is a deeper level to the Murdoch agenda and that is an intrinsic
opposition to democracy on the part of the elites.  It is becoming
increasingly difficult to get the people to vote for their own destruction.
Lying before the election seemingly will no longer suffice. The external
emergency (e.g. Las Malvinas./ Falklands) still has some capacity to
mobilise support for right wing agendas but less and less.

So will the bourgeoisie abandon commitment to parliamentary democracy and
start flirting with the likes of Le Pen and the Golden Dawn? Impossible? I
don't think so.

comradely

Gary