#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

PEOPLES’ DEMOCRATIC PARTY

HALKLARIN DEMOKRATİK PARTİSİ

10 September 2015 URGENT CALL FOR INTERNATIONAL ACTION

Turkey is increasingly drifting into a civil war. Politics of violence
have escalated after

the general elections of June 7 led by the AKP provisional government.
Today, the peace and negotiation process between PKK and the Turkish
state has come to a halt and war has started again.

Just within the last month, severe clashes have taken place in many
Kurdish cities such as Silopi, Lice, Şemdinli, Silvan, Yüksekova and
Cizre where the civilian population has been targeted by state forces.
Tens of civilians, guerillas and members of state security forces have
died in the ensuing clashes. Since July 24, the AKP interim government
has not been attacking ISIS, as it claims to be doing, but the Qandil
Mountains in the territory of the Kurdistan Regional Government
instead, as well as Kurds, democratic forces, democratic politics,
civilians, women and the opposition as a whole in Turkey.

The Turkish state and the provisional AKP government are implementing
all sorts of oppressive measures such as forbidding entry into and
departure from Kurdish cities against which it launches military
operations, cutting off all communication including phone and internet
lines, blocking off press and observers to prevent the truth about
what is happening on the ground from reaching national and
international public attention. A curfew has been in place in the
province of Cizre for the past week where 21 civilians have been
killed. The province of Cizre have been under siege for days where
there is serious shortage of food, water, access to basic health
services, preventative treatment of the wounded, and burial of those
who

have been killed by state security forces. Serious concerns regarding
fears of civilian massacre in Cizre have been voiced by the elected
members of the parliament and civil society organizations.

In this very violent situation, HDP has also been targeted by AKP
spokespersons and pro-AKP mass media. Almost every day, our party
officials and especially our co-chairs are being put on the target for
those “nationalist and patriotic” people. Many calls and statements of
AKP officials have been signaling a call for war against HDP. As a
result of this violent discourse of AKP, many of our buildings in
several cities have been attacked by groups of people associated with
racist and fascist groups. On September 8, they attacked our HQ in
Ankara, setting fire to the building. Our party archives and records
were targeted specifically. No one was injured in the attack but our
HQ is now heavily damaged and unavailable for use.

Until now, over 128 party buildings all over the country have been
attacked. Moreover, the police and other security forces of the state
did not do their job to prevent the attacks.

We once again want to emphasize that HDP is not a part of these
violence-based, war- oriented policies. As HDP, we did not take part
in any decision-making process of the war. On

the contrary, we are trying to push both PKK and the Turkish state to
end this armed conflict. It should be known that it is the AKP who is
insisting on war politics and implementing anti- democratic practices
all over the country.

In spite of these adverse developments, we call on all international
communities, civil society organizations and the international media
for solidarity and support to bring about an immediate cease-fire and
the commencement of peace talks. Our call is also one for urgent
action against increasing state violence, the violation of human
rights and anti-democratic practices and measures ins Kurdish cities
as well as the cities in the western regions of the country. We now
need the support of the international public more than ever in order
to achieve the realization of a lasting peace in the Middle East,
Turkey and Kurdistan. In this context we invite all of our friends,
political parties, associations, networks, civil society organizations
and all peace-loving forces to act in solidarity with us. We call on
all democratic international institutions and forces to take concrete
steps against the Turkish state’s violent, anti-democratic actions
against its own people and citizens.

Foreign Affairs Commission of HDP

Contact: internatio...@hdp.org.tr Web: www.hdp.org.tr
Address: Barbaros Mah. Tahran Cad. Büklüm Sok. No: 117 06680
Çankaya / Ankara / Turkey Phone: +90 312 427 17 80(Pbx) Fax: +90 312
4288957