#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Yes, but the article is obvious nonsense, because the US, UK and
France clearly did go along with it, that was the basis of the Geneva
conference several months later, which this article refers to. The
article just mentions that Geneva broke down over whether or not Assad
would remain as part of the Geneva "political solution." It doesn't
say who rejected the idea of Assad "stepping aside" at Geneva. Of
course, Assad did.  But unless my memory doesn't serve me well, so did
Russia! While the US and other western states accepted this outcome,
ie, precisely the outcome allegedly put forward by Russians in this
private correspondence.

There is one other problem with the article. The article assumes that
just because US, UK, France etc DID accept the private Russian
proposal for Assadism without Assad, at Geneva, that they would be
able to bully the FSA and other Syrian resistance organisations to
accept this outcome. Once again, that would have been very unlikely.