#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

John asks whether Anthony Albanese is too left wing to be elected.  We will
probably never know the answer to that question.  Currently we are set to
see a re-election of the conservative coalition.  The multi-millionaire
merchant banker, Malcolm Turnbull, will carry his party to what I
personally believe will be a landslide.  The consumer voter seems convinced
that Turnbull 'farts rainbows' as one commentator put it.  Certainly, his
popularity is huge according to the polls.

By contrast the ALP is stuck with a desperately unpopular right wing trade
union hack - a true "mechanic".  Shorten is an expert at twisting
arms, backstabbing, wheedling and doing deals with bosses that betray the
interests of workers.

The Greens steadfastly refuse to become a party of the Left. So there is no
popular anti-austerity formation with an electoral base.

What will break this deadlock?

Well the next recession should expose Turnbull as a show pony.  Shorten
will be a bad memory.  Maybe then the ALP will tentatively and nervously
adapt a Keynesian policy thrust. As always, I look to developments outside
Australia.  A Chinese recession would be disastrous for the Australian
economy.  An upheaval in Europe would have an impact.  In the meantime, as
I have said, it is deadlock.

comradely

Gary

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 3:54 PM, John Passant via Marxism <