#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I think what Hersh reports is a turf war between the the CIA and the Pentagon,
with the former holding (as US Machiavellians have, back to the Carter
administration in Afghanistan) that jihadists can be used for US policy goals
of Mideast control, and the Pentagon skeptical about that.

The former position is illustrated in Andrew Cockburn's current article, "A
Special Relationship: The United States is teaming up with Al Qaeda, again”
http://harpers.org/archive/2016/01/a-special-relationship/
<http://harpers.org/archive/2016/01/a-special-relationship/>

—CGE