#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Actually, there was -- and is -- much more to the Chavista revolution. There
are still 5 million Venezuelans who voted for what they thought that
revolution represented. That includes the "people's power" promoted by
Chávez and his successors, as in the communal councils and communes which
are more widespread than is commonly thought outside of Venezuela.

Crucial to the next stage in Venezuela will be the capacity of the
grassroots Chavistas to mount resistance to their opposition now ensconced
in the new parliamentary majority, and to find ways to constitute and
advance that dual power from below that was always promoted by Chávez, with
very uneven results as we know. If the new opposition parliament fails to
come up with some immediate economic relief in face of a failed
macro-economic strategy (hydrocarbons dependency), and simply sets its
sights on overturning President Maduro, their key institutional obstacle,
the Rightist advance may lose some of its momentum and Chavismo could regain
much of its previous, currrently disaffected, support. It's too soon to say
Good-bye to the Bolivarian Revolution. It has just received a sharp kick in
the behind from the Right. But the Chavistas have shown their capacity to
overcome setbacks in the past. In the longer run, of course, they have to
come up with some much more innovative and realizeable economic measures and
strategies to begin to go "beyond capitalism."

Meanwhile, I would urge comrades to follow on-the-spot sources like Telesur
and Venezuelanalysis for updates and analysis. The next few months are
crucially important.

Richard