#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

GurgaonWorkersNews no.64 - November 2015 - Material for the debate on 'global
working class' and organisation

www.gurgaonworkersnews.wordpress.com

*** Editorial

This newsletter is dedicated to our comrade Chintamani, a gentle man, who died
in July 2015. He was, amongst many other things, a metal worker and active
participant in Faridabad Majdoor Samachar (FMS). We will miss him.

We haven't published GurgaonWorkersNews for over a year and we won't publish
another newsletter for a while. While FMS continues the monthly publication and
distribution of their Hindi newspaper, we won't have as much time for
translations and additional research in the near future. This is mainly due to
new political priorities: we started publishing a workers' newspaper in the
west of London, amongst mainly food processing and warehouse workers. It was
possible to publish GurgaonWorkersNews while at the same time working low paid
working class jobs, but to do so and publish and circulate a regular workers'
paper is not. Comrades who have more time and want to become involved in
GurgaonWorkersNews, feel free to contact us. Otherwise check out our
London-based paper. Reflections and comments are welcome.

www.workerswildwest.wordpress.com
https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/on-logistics-workers-inquiry-in-west-london-november-2014/

<https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/on-logistics-workers-inquiry-in-west-london-november-2014/>

Giving GurgaonWorkersNews a break does not mean that our political activities
in Delhi and London will become detached. This is mainly due to the fact that
workers' conditions become increasingly similar: being new in town, not finding
permanent jobs, living on the minimum wage, sharing rooms to be able to pay the
rent, working 12-hour shifts, finding no solution in the traditional trade
unions, searching for ways to organise under the conditions of enforced and
voluntary mobility. As you can read in this newsletter, Amazon workers'
conditions in India are not that different from the conditions of their
class-mates in, e.g. Poland. Other connections are even more direct: as you can
read in the article below, working in fashion warehouses in London or Hamburg
puts you in the same value chain as garment workers in Delhi, Gurgaon or
Faridabad. Or to be more concrete: we were smiling when, while we were working
as agency workers at Jack Wills in London, our shop-floor manager started cry
 ing about having to send back a shipment of clothes from Modelama because of
too many 'quality flaws' , because we knew that the Modelama comrades in
Gurgaon are in constant struggle with management.

-------

In this issue of GurgaonWorkersNews you can find:

*** In memory of Comrade Chintamani

Friends wrote down their memories and appreciations of our late comrade.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/279605280/Comrade-Chintamani-Aug2015
<http://www.scribd.com/doc/279605280/Comrade-Chintamani-Aug2015>

*** Amazon in India - The E-Commerce Jungle and Workers' Reality

Recent workers' disputes in the e-commerce sector in Pune and Mumbai are
expressions of the fragile nature of India's 'start-up bubble', the
share-inflation-based boom of retail and service companies, which use both new
technologies like mobile phone apps and cheap labour for their business
success. The fragility is both external and internal. Externally, the recent
jitters that went through the stockmarket in China can be seen as a sign
towards the brick wall that the model of 'non-profitable' share-inflation-based
expansion a la Amazon is about to hit. Internally, the discontent of workers
within the newly developed software departments, warehouse clusters and
delivery networks rips apart the facade of the sanitised and effortless world
of online services. We spent some time talking to warehouse workers of
different 'e-commerce-retailers' (Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra) in the outskirts of
Delhi. Before looking at the conditions of Amazon workers and their colleagues
we give a broad ove
 rview of the e-commerce and retail sector in India.
https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2015/11/11/amazon-in-india-the-e-commerce-jungle-and-workers-reality/

<https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2015/11/11/amazon-in-india-the-e-commerce-jungle-and-workers-reality/>

*** Wildcat Strike of Temporary Maruti Suzuki Workers in Manesar, (from:
Faridabad Majdoor Samachar, October 2015)

On 24th of September 2015 the Maruti workers' union and management signed a
wage agreement. The wages of the permanent workers will increase by Rs 16,800
over the next three years (the previous agreement stipulated Rs 18,000). Being
pleased about the fact that the whole procedure had remained peaceful the
managing director gave a present of Rs 3,000 to each of the permanent workers.
The media and national newspapers applauded the successful agreement. The
temporary workers were excluded from this agreement and the wage gap between
them and their permanent colleagues had further increased. On the 26th of
Setember, 400 temporary workers of the A-shift at the Maruti Suzuki Manesar
plant did not enter the factory. The B-shift workers who lived close to the
factory also gathered at the gate. A total of 600 workers debated and started
to become agitated. As part of their corporate social responsibility scheme
Maruti Suzuki had 'adopted' fourteen villages in the vicinity of the factory.
Peo
 ple arrived at the plant in cars from these villages and started attacking the
temporary workers. The police also arrived en masse, started beating workers
and arrested around 100 of them. More than 1,000 police were stationed within
and around the factory premises. Management announced that production was not
affected by the commotion, but workers reported that the assembly lines run
'stop-and-go', so that only about half of the usual 1,440 cars were assembled
on the 26th of September. After the inspiring series of factory occupations at
the Maruti Manesar plant in 2011 involving both permanent and temporary
workers, this trade union agreement is like a tomb-stone for future common
actions.

*** 'Make in India' or global struggles? - On the series of factory riots,
wildcats and factory occupations in Delhi 2014 - 15

We summarised FMS articles on eighteen struggles, mainly factory riots and
factory occupations, which took place during 2014 and early 2015. The article
puts these struggles in context of the global surge in workers' struggles after
the mid-2000 in general and the garment workers' riots in Bangladesh and the
wildcat automobile strikes in China 2010. It shows that while the official
trade union federations are not a vehicle to overcome the company boundaries of
disputes, workers' own steps towards wider coordinations take place on a
largely informal and temporary level.
https://libcom.org/blog/struggles-%E2%80%98make-india%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-series-factory-riots-occupations-wildcat-strikes-delhi%E2%80%99s-industria

<https://libcom.org/blog/struggles-%E2%80%98make-india%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-series-factory-riots-occupations-wildcat-strikes-delhi%E2%80%99s-industria>

*** Changes in class composition and political practice - Past and present of
Faridabad Majdoor Samachar / Kamunist Kranti

Friends translated, and we edited, a presentation by FMS comrades of the
political history of their collective. Starting from the mid-1970s the
presentation reflects on experiences within local class struggles and the
collective's own political practice - and moreover, the necessity to criticise
and change one's own practice. Read how the experiences of trade unionism
during local textile mill and metal factory struggles, international contacts
and the hungry reading of historical debates led to a new practice that put
workers' self-activity into the centre.
https://libcom.org/blog/experiences-kamunist-kranti-faridabad-major-samachar-16092015

<https://libcom.org/blog/experiences-kamunist-kranti-faridabad-major-samachar-16092015>

*** A global connection: Garment workers in Gurgaon - Fashion warehouse workers
in London and Hamburg

Conditions becoming more similar globally and connections between workers
becoming more direct is the basis for a truly global class movement against the
current system. Our political efforts have to reflect these objective
potentials for struggles beyond borders. We have to understand the global
dimensions of local class disputes, intensify the international debate about
them and wherever possible support workers in coordinating steps on a
multi-national scale. The reflection on struggles at the same time becomes a
reflection concerning our own ways to organise. We hope the following texts
will contribute to this debate on the global character of the working class
today and on the relation between changes in class composition and changes of
political practice.
https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/hm-warehouse-workers-in-germany-and-hm-garment-workers-in-india/

<https://angryworkersworld.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/hm-warehouse-workers-in-germany-and-hm-garment-workers-in-india/>
https://workerswildwest.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/workerswildwest-workers-paper-for-west-london-issue-no-1-march-2015/#fn6

<https://workerswildwest.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/workerswildwest-workers-paper-for-west-london-issue-no-1-march-2015/#fn6>

*** Emergence of a global working class - Article by Wildcat, Germany, Summer
2015

We translated a longer analysis by Wildcat concerning objective changes of the
global organisation of production and the working class, as well as their own
efforts during the last few decades to grapple with these changes, e.g. their
debates on the 'peasant-question' or on the hype of 'globalisation'.
Interestingly the article covers a similar period as the reflections by the FMS
comrades: the counter-revolution of the late 1970s and early 1980s, the
restructuring process during the 1990s and the emergence of a new generation of
struggles since the mid-2000s. While the wildcat article provides a more global
picture, the reflections by FMS put us in the driving seat: what to do and what
not to do facing this world in unrest.
https://libcom.org/library/global-working-class-wildcat-germany
<https://libcom.org/library/global-working-class-wildcat-germany>

*** 'Turkey - Twelve days that posed the question of workers autonomy' - by
Mouvement Communiste

Comrades had a closer look at the recent series of wildcat strikes in the
automobile sector in Turkey, which has significant similarities to the factory
struggles in Gurgaon and Manesar.
http://mouvement-communiste.com/documents/MC/Leaflets/BLT1509ENVF.pdf
<http://mouvement-communiste.com/documents/MC/Leaflets/BLT1509ENVF.pdf>

Stay tuned, keep in touch!