#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 1/20/16 3:44 PM, ioannis aposperites via Marxism wrote:

"The 2015 Greek election has thrilled the world. An entire nation stands
up today, for once, and shakes its fist at the imperial monster saying:
“our lives are more important than your profit.” It’s a good feeling.
And it feels good to feel good for a change.

But we cannot allow ourselves to simply feel good. We also have to
prepare for what is coming next: the attempt which the imperial monster
will initiate to punish the people of Greece for their effrontery. This
is a powerful beast, with many sharp talons in its claws, many weapons
at its disposal—economic, political, and (if all else fails) military
weapons. The imperialist rulers are experienced in using all of these
weapons, and they use them with the arrogance of a social force that
expects to win, because they are used to winning."

Full: http://oldandnewproject.net/Essays/GreeceW&FG.html

Bloom's article has limited value since it superimposes formulas from the Comintern of the early 20s when the CP was massive presence throughout Europe. It reminds me a bit of the objections to the united front that the SWP was building in the 1960s that was made up of us, the CPUSA and DP liberals. How could we bloc with the DP, our sectarian adversaries said? If you tried to build a movement based strictly on "workers parties" (which we really weren't), the antiwar movement would have never gotten off the ground.

In the face of deeply unfavorable conditions on the left in Europe, there was likely nothing that Tsipras could have done to satisfy the expectations of some of his leftist supporters like Richard Seymour. Maybe if Corbyn was prime minister in England and Podemos ruled Spain, we'd see a different outcome. In the meantime, things keep shifting to the right so I wouldn't hold my breath.