#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Without weighing in on the merits of voting for neocon Clinton, I don't
think that is the gist of the argument. The argument is not that she is the
lesser evil. It is that she is *considerably less evil* than her opponent.
The argument is that Donald Trump is far, far worse than Clinton, as
opposed to say, Romney and Obama or McCain and Obama. In those years, many
on the left foolishly backed Obama at the expense of building any kind of
counterhegemonic pole by exaggerating the differences between Obama and his
opponent.

But in this election, little exaggeration is needed by Clinton's
supporters. The other guy is so insane that his own Party leadership is
crumbling under the weight of being unable to endorse their nominee because
he's such a loony toon. In other elections, one could identify one of the
candidates or the other as a "lesser evil," but they would be hard-pressed
to establish that the differences between the two outweigh their enormous
similarities. That is not the case with this election. Trump has gone above
and beyond simply being "worse" than Clinton. He is *so much worse* that
his own Party's leadership is looking at Hillary!!!

The other difference is that, as I understand it, the Canadian system is
more friendly to smaller parties. Americans do not have that advantage.
Personally, I have always voted Green and intend to do so again during the
upcoming election. But I also live in a solidly Blue state, so I don't
think my vote has ever counted (not that it would count otherwise). If I
lived in a "swing" state I might feel forced to rethink my loyalty to the
Greens even if I would not have done so in other years.

I also think that the task of building the kind of party that you are
talking about cannot operate on the same clock as the presidential
elections. Setting up a party (even a bourgeois one, to say nothing of a
revolutionary party) takes decades, and it is a full-time project, not
something that can be done by trying to grab votes on election years.
Perhaps the Greens should consider building up their base outside of the
elections and not just during election years? They could do so by building
a grassroots base and then using it to propel candidates into local
government. From there they might have a stronger means of connecting with
the voter base during general elections in order to challenge the
Democrats.

- Amith

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Ken Hiebert via Marxism <