#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Officially, my father was the president of the Newark tower branch, or “local,” of patco. Given his charisma and penchant for theatrics, however, he was often asked to speak to the press. By default, he became a very public face in the Northeast region. His would be a high-profile arrest. At home, watching the evening news, it was easy for me to picture my dad, heroically defiant, in handcuffs and leg irons, being led across the screen. The image turned fearsome when I thought about what would happen to him after I turned off the television.

In reality, I had little reason to fear. My father would never have suffered the indignity of a jail cell. The night of the picket line, he went on the lam, and I didn’t see him for a week. When he did return home, he was careful not to park on our street in case the marshals drove by looking for him. In the days following the strike, the Justice Department arrested a handful of union officials, and issued indictments for dozens more. My father escaped legal prosecution, but suffered in other ways.

full: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-cost-of-defying-the-president