#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 3/2/17 12:04 PM, Joseph Green via Marxism wrote:

Again and again, the theory of permanent revolution has been proved wrong.
According to the permanent revolution, the neoliberal nature of the ANC
government should have meant that all the democratic gains were lost, and we
should have seen South Africa suffering again from apartheid, indeed perhaps
an even more intense apartheid than before. Instead we see that the old
apartheid is dead, but the "social tensions" are increasing, and the
extension and intensification of the class struggle is on the agenda.

I don't know what "according to the permanent revolution" means. Trotsky didn't write a formula, even though his epigones turned it into one. The obligation of Marxists is to analyze capitalist society and develop strategy and tactics that will help to overthrow the capitalist class. I don't read Trotsky's writings from 1905 in order to understand Thabo Mbeki or Nelson Mandela. I read Patrick Bond. I am afraid your argument is with Trotskyism, not Trotsky.