#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I mostly agree with David here. Nick says Chomsky is saying pretty much the same as he always said. I agree, but for opposite reasons to Nick. Nick is right that Chomsky has often called the regime "monstrous" and so on. In fact, early on, back around 2012 or so, I'd say Chomsky had a pretty good position on Syria. But once he began relying on Cockburn's atrocious and ill-informed stuff, Chomsky showed that, far from a brilliant thinker on Syria, he was just a regurgitator of someone's views that fitted a tired old narrative that he was used to from decades ago that was irrelevant to current reality. Nothing wrong with Chomsky having no expertise whatsoever on Syria; one cannot be an expert on everything. The problem is that some feel they have to pretend to me, due to their stature among the left.

So once I began reading the article, I came across the nonsense of Russia offering to remove Assad in 2012 but the US, UK and France resisting. While I agree with David's reasoning as to why they would resist (they've never wanted Assad gone, I agree), the simple fact of the matter is that no such even ever occurred. Russia never offered such a thing for the US to reject. Chomsky still repeats it, despite it being shown to be fantasy when first raised by Churkin in 2015. Chomsky must be aware of this, maybe we can cut him a little slack given his age, maybe he doesn't have time and energy to read everything, but if you make yourself a spokesperson you have a certain responsibility to check facts. The reason Chomsky likes to repeat this non-fact is because it fits the simplistic, non-Marxist narrative he likes: that the US is always the most responsible for everything that happens anywhere. The war continues not because Assad's genocide-regime and Russian imperialism continue it, but because the US wants it to continue and so rejects any reasonable offer. Now matter how at odds all that is with the *actual* US intervention of the last 2.5 years.

Here is Brian Slocock taking the assertion apart when it was first raised in 2015: https://pulsemedia.org/2015/09/20/did-the-west-ignore-a-russian-offer-for-assad-to-step-down-as-president/

-----Original Message----- From: David McDonald via Marxism