#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

clip -

 "And then, Leeuwenhoek looked at some water -- specifically, water of
Berkelse Mere, a lake near Delft. Sucking some of the turbid liquid into a
glass pipette and mounting it on his microscope, he saw that it was teeming
with life: 'little green clouds' of algae, along with thousands of tiny,
dancing creatures. 'The motion of most of these animalcules in the water
was so swift, and so various upwards, down­wards and round about that 'twas
wonderful to see,' he wrote, 'and I judged that some of these little
creatures were above a thousand times smaller than the smallest ones I have
ever yet seen upon the rind of cheese.' They were protozoa -- the diverse
group of organisms that includes amoebas and other single-celled
eukaryotes. Leeuwenhoek had become the first person ever to see them.

http://www.delanceyplace.com/view-archives.php?p=3317