#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

A good survey of Gould's accomplishments. Avoids discussing Gould's
toughest contributions to the debate about atheism and his final book, The
Structure of Evolutionary Theory, in which he attempts to place himself
firmly in the lineage of Darwin while denying the absolute primacy of
evolution thru natural selection as a process affecting only individual
organisms. An exceptionally difficult book for me to read -- I am still
fitfully at it after years. Gould's biggest flaw was self-indulgence in his
writing. He denied himself no byway.