#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I think so too. No one knows beyond doubt but we have to look at the opposition to the concept and consequences of climate change and the reasons for concealment, squarely.

"Clarity instead of hope," or shock and rethinking, will not likely be the reaction of so many over so confusing an issue as withdrawal from the clearly pusillanimous Paris Agreement, with no sanctions among perpetrators for non-compliance; about which the msm and officialdom and capital generally, in the globe's major, most profitable markets, are so silent and seemingly unconcerned and so many are as a result so poorly informed.

It's again here in the US more likely to be, if any reaction at all among people whose lives are so little affected, "Oh well, Trump's the spokesperson in chief; he must know something we don't know, and there's little response to his actions from anyone except from some of those who call us 'the deplorables', and the Greenpeace crazies."

Policy setters and their rich cohorts in the US, where those bondholders most affected reside and who are for the most part kept fully aware, know that the likely effects of raising this issue in all its cataclysmic dimensions will have a devastating effect on capital accumulation; capital is entirely incapable of sustaining the hit that full response entails for them - the ridiculous global value chains, 12,000-mile supply lines, corollary access to cheap, global immobile labor and the contrived division of the working class supplanting its collective strength, colossal waste and mis-use of planetary resources, all the severe, irreversible, pervasive impacts that are entailed.

My liberal, so-called friends generally, too internally preoccupied, who as John says haven't a clue about class and its consequences or the inner workings of capital, are not really that much concerned either.

It isn't that all is necessarily lost, but that it sure's hell doesn't help.

John Reimann wrote

"This article is entirely worthy of a liberal like its Greenpeace author.

Ken Ward writes: "If Trump withdraws from the Paris agreement, at least we will have clarity instead of hope." Shades of the old Stalinist view "after Hitler then us"! On this basis, Ward should support Trump's deportations of undocumented immigrants and his stepped-up bombing campaign in Syria. Why not? The worse it gets, the better it gets according to Ward.

And what conclusion does Ward draw? "*the shock and rethinking it will cause in some circles just might precipitate political and cultural changes we need to stave off climate cataclysm.*"

Evidently this does not include his circle, since his conclusion is that we must turn more to the courts and to individual actions of civil disobedience. Like all liberals, Ward is completely blind to class interests, class conflict and class struggle.

History shows that the overthrow of bourgeois democracy leads not to disillusionment in that form of capitalist government, but just the opposite - *increased* illusion in it. It will be the same for the Paris Climate Accord. Not only that, but increased illusions in the liberals and the Democratic Party. But what is history to liberals like Ken Ward?

John Reimann"

---