#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "New Bloom Magazine" <donotre...@wordpress.com>
> Date: July 20, 2017 at 4:58:39 AM EDT
> To: "Richard Sprout" <spro...@upstate.edu>
> Subject: [New post] Why Do Fights Occur So Often In Taiwanese
Legislature?

> New post on New Bloom Magazine
>

> Why Do Fights Occur So Often In Taiwanese Legislature?
> by Brian Hioe
> by Brian Hioe
> 語言:
> English
> Photo Credit: SET
> PERHAPS IN international coverage of Taiwan’s democracy, both with
regard to its history and its present, some clarification is required
about the meaning of Taiwanese democracy instead of simply being happy
that the international media is paying attention to otherwise obscure
Taiwan.

> With recent international coverage about a recent fight within the
Legislative Yuan between KMT and DPP legislators regarding the
distribution of borough chiefs and the broader history of legislative
fighting in Taiwan, many in Taiwan have reflected upon why exactly it is
that Taiwan’s legislature so frequently has fights take place within it.
Indeed, fights within Taiwan’s Legislative Yuan are fairly common, and
international media has a way of occasionally discovering and
rediscovering this phenomenon over and over. Nevertheless, the question
is worth reflecting on as something which probably has ties to the
structural nature of Taiwanese democracy.

> Some deem fights within legislature to be an expression of the highly
polarized nature of Taiwanese politics, with sharp divisions between the
pan-Blue and pan-Green alliances. This has a large degree of truth. The
primary political cleavage in Taiwan is not between the political Left
and Right, per se, but between unification with China or independence
for Taiwan. These are differences in conceptions of Taiwan’s political
division which are inherently oppositional, without a lack of
substantial capacity for a middle ground position which blends both
political poles, as occurs with the Left-Right political spectrum.

> Photo credit: CNA
> This explains in part why pan-Blue and pan-Green political actors
would be willing to lob fists at each other altogether too willingly in
legislature is because their vision of Taiwan’s future are inherently at
odds with each other and each views the other side as an existential
threat. Again, issues of unification/independence are obviously not the
only issue that pan-Blue and pan-Green legislators fight about, but
unification/independence remains the primarily dividing issue between
the two main political camps in Taiwan, and other issues arrange
themselves around this split. Again, the fundamental split within
Taiwanese politics being between unification/independence is a way in
which Taiwanese democratic politics fundamentally differs from other
two-party democracies, and is an unsettled legacy of Taiwan’s
authoritarian period.

> Consequently, there is quite simply no way for Taiwanese legislators
from both political camps to have a collegial relation, as one might see
between members of otherwise rival political parties in other contexts.
One observes, for example, that there is very little political discourse
in Taiwan which touts the benefits of bipartisan politics as a universal
good, although bipartisan does occur within legislature nonetheless.

> Yet, likewise, it is because of Taiwan’s only recently
post-authoritarian nature which fights break out so often in
legislature. As the KMT was the former ruling party during the
authoritarian period and the DPP was the political party which formed
out of the democracy movement which fought against the KMT, blood was
literally split in battle between the two sides for Taiwanese democracy
to be established. It is no surprise that antagonisms continue to exist
between both sides in addition to that the pan-Blue and pan-Green camp
have at heart fundamentally oppositional political visions.

> Likewise, seeing as the democracy movement seems to have enshrined the
crucial role of the mass movement in Taiwanese politics, the fact that
pan-Blue and pan-Green political actors literally fought each other
during the period of KMT authoritarianism and the rising democracy, at
far greater intensity than occasional fisticuffs in legislature,
probably also contributes to why political violence is somewhat
normalized in even electoral politics. Taiwanese democracy, after all,
was realized in struggle.

> Indeed, returning to the fact that discussion upon why the Taiwanese
legislature so frequently descends into fights between legislator as
prompted by international media, one observes that Taiwanese democracy
is usually conceived of as fully finished but that many of the
peculiarities of Taiwanese politics frequently reported on by
international media stem from the recent and still unsettled nature of
Taiwanese democracy. International media often excludes the Taiwanese
people from the history of Taiwanese democracy, instead focusing on
claims that Chiang Ching-Kuo is somehow the founding father of Taiwanese
democracy for his willingness to step back from KMT authoritarianism.
With international coverage of the thirtieth anniversary since the
lifting of martial law in Taiwan, we may note that this claim is one
which occurs frequently enough that Tsai Ing-Wen addressed this in her
comments on the anniversary.

> Photo credit: Tsai Ing-Wen/Facebook
> Much of this probably returns to the fact that alongside claims
touting the achievements of Taiwanese democracy, one also usually sees
references to the Taiwan Miracle or Taiwan’s economic growth as part of
the Four East Asian Tigers, sometimes also crediting Chiang Ching-Kuo
and indirectly the KMT developmentalist state for this instead of the
Taiwanese people. The successes of Taiwanese democracy are primarily
thought of by many members of the international community alongside the
successes of the Taiwanese economy. One wonders, in fact, if they would
claim about the former if not for the latter.

> Such are oftentimes the priorities of the international community. So,
to cast doubt on the claim that Taiwan’s best weapon against Chinese
claims over Taiwan is its democracy, we also observe that members of the
international community sometimes is all too willing to look the other
way in terms of democracy and human rights regarding countries with
powerful economies they can do business with, as China is a prominent
example of today. But, seeing as the world stood by for decades while
the KMT ruled over Taiwan with an iron fist, instead allowing Taiwan’s
economic successes under KMT rule to mask over its lack of democracy,
this is no different.

> In this light, international media sensationalism about fights in
Taiwanese legislature as of late is broadly part of a longer pattern in
which international media has had its priorities wrong in coverage of
Taiwan. What should be hoped for, then, perhaps is for further
clarification on what Taiwanese democracy means to international media.

> Brian Hioe | July 20, 2017 at 4:58 pm | Tags: fights in Legislative
Yuan, fights in Taiwanese legislature, international media coverage of
Taiwan, Taiwanese democracy, Taiwanese legislature | Categories:
English, July 2017 | URL: http://wp.me/p7wZyN-4bA