#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi Patrick, Of course I agree that the three “grabs” you mention occur, and that they are crucial for capitalist production. But I don’t agree that they are, in today’s conditions, non-capitalist. They are part of how capitalist economy works; they exist in addition to the direct extraction of surplus-value in the sphere of production. Luxemburg held that capitalism required not just the grabbing of extra surplus-value outside the production sphere – it needed to loot by force non-capitalist *modes of production.* The Marikana massacre was the forcible suppression of a strike within capitalist production, a strike by proletarian miners whose labor was super-exploited by capitalists. Luxemburg’s scheme doesn’t apply here. As John Smith said in the post that triggered this discussion: “Harvey is right to draw attention to the continuing and even increasing importance of old and new forms of accumulation by dispossession, but he does not recognize that imperialism’s most significant shift in emphasis is in an entirely different direction – toward the transformation of its own core processes of surplus-value extraction through the global labor arbitrage-driven [i.e., by super-exploitation] globalization of production, a phenomenon that is entirely internal to the labor-capital relation.” Yes, my comments were grumpy. I grump especially at reformist institutions that inappropriately appropriate Luxemburg’s revolutionary good name. But my main point was to grump at theorists (Harvey and Wolff) who suggest that the center of imperialism has moved South, or that it is the oppressed countries in the global South that extract surplus-value from the imperialist countries in the global North. Those fictions turn the real imperialist globe upside down. Walter On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 17:09:06 +0200 Patrick Bond <pb...@mail.ngo.za> wrote: There are questions in this (exceedingly grumpy) review posed to me, so I sent back this quick answer to Walter Daum:

Walter: [Bond] repeatedly quotes her statements to the effect that
?capital cannot accumulate without the aid of non-capitalist relations.?
But the main examples he provides are those of extractive industries
that strip the continent of minerals, and he vividly describes the
infamous massacre of platinum miners at Marikana in 2012. How is this an
example of ?super-exploitative relations between capitalist and
non-capitalist spheres? being confirmed in Africa today?

My reply: The super-exploitation of the non-capitalist sphere entails:
1) land grabs of the soil above which the minerals are found;
2) nature grabs of the minerals themselves;
3) grabs of the social reproduction of labour power in the form of
super-exploited women suffering the conditions of migrant labour in
neo-apartheid SA (more athttp://womin.org.za)

Sorry I didn't make that clear, but you'd agree?

Cheers,
Patrick