#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This article has some resemblance as this one by Alexis Petridis a few years
back < https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/feb/28/how-pop-lost-gay-edge >. I
grew up in Britain through the 1960s, and it was well known that the Beatles'
manager Brian Epstein was gay (not that that term was used then), and there
would be snide comments from older people about the 'effeminate' pop stars of
the day, with their long hair and, later on, flamboyant clothing. Rumours about
Larry Parnes' predatory predilections for handsome young men seeped out, along
with the more common stories about his appalling rip-off managerial style; he
was popularly known as 'Parnes, Shillings and Pence'. If these tales were true,
he really would have been a Der Stürmer stereotype; I can't vouch for their
veracity.

But the rest of the gay managers were unknown to us. Lambert, Napier-Bell... the
average music fan had never heard of them, let alone knew that they were gay.
I'd heard of Stigwood, but only recently learnt (via Ginger Baker's
autobiography) that he was gay. These guys, along with their sexuality, were
behind the scenes.

As for the article's conclusion -- 'in an era when gay sexual expression was
brutally suppressed, the men were able to express themselves through the most
influential sex symbols of the day, creating a kind of erotic ventriloquism' --
that's not how it appeared at the time. Nobody of my generation thought that
Mick Jagger was gay, whatever our parents' generation might have thought, or
that his image was conjured up by some gay managerial svengali. If anything, we
young lads were envious of the way he could get crowds of girls around him; the
same went for the other popular music stars of the time. Likewise, I can't
recall any openly gay person in the popular music scene at that time. The only
man I can think of was Long John Baldry, and he wasn't publicly gay at the time;
I don't think he either admitted it or was obliged to deny it publicly, although
I suspect that it was known within the business. I can't recall when rumours
started being heard that Dusty Springfield was gay, but I don't think it was in
the 1960s, when she was first in the public eye. The whole scene appeared to be
very straight. It wasn't until the early 1970s with David Bowie did real hints
towards being gay, or at least a strong sense of ambiguity, become visible in
the popular music world.

It was different in the world of the theatre, including musical theatre, and to
a lesser degree cinema, where gay men, often with little attempt at disguising
their gayness, were fairly common. It's a paradoxical thing that drag acts and
camp comedians were popular for decades in working-class entertainment at a time
when there was no apparent evidence of anyone being gay in working-class
circles. But that was an entirely different scene, nothing to do with the
popular music scene, even though their songs would sometimes jostle for position
in the 'hit parade' with songs by performers of our generation.

Paul F