#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I don’t go in much for the seasonal thing but did really thrive through it all
and actually had a very good time with the family.

It is as hot as hell here at present. But we will get by on chilled red wine.

My political interests at the moment are firstly in following the Novara Media
cabal in London.  I have great hopes for Ash Sarkar, James Butler, Michael
Walker and Aaron Bastani.

It seems to me that they and the Artist Taxi Driver, Owen Jones, Richard
Seymour & Paul Mason and others are producing a profoundly moral critique of
Neoliberal power.  As I have been reading Reinhart Kosselleck I have compared
the work of Novara Media et al to the critiques of Absolutism fashioned in the
Enlightenment Clubs and theatres. Those critics brought down the Absolute
Monarchs.  The critiques of Novara Media et al may well bring down the UK’s
neoliberal establishment.

The moral impulse behind the critiques is also given added edge by  Novara
Media’s constant exposure of the mind boggling incompetence  & meanness of the
Tory Govt that Theresa May leads.

So something good is happening in the UK.  It is also possible that the Trump
visit could be the catalyst for a major confrontation with the Tory state. That
makes up in part for my deep grief at the crushing of the Arab Spring.

I have also been genuinely intrigued at the re-emergence of what my old Year 11
history text book used to call the “Irish Problem”.  We Irish of course thought
of it as the English Problem. Briefly, Brexit poses an insolvable problem for
the UK state.  Peace prevails In Ireland because of the absence of a hard
border between the North and the South of Ireland.  But if the UK leaves the EU
there will have to be a hard border somewhere. It will either be in Ireland or
in the Irish Sea.  The Unionists in Ulster have gone hysterical over the latter
possibility and to pacify them there has been an enormous amount of fudging
taking place. But sooner or later there will have to be some very hard
decisions taken.

To add a deal of delight to proceedings state papers released in Ireland have
shown that MI5 conspired with the Protestant Terrorist gang the UVF to murder
members of the Miami Show Band.  As well MI5 tried to persuade the UVF to
assassinate the then Irish Prime Minister Charles Haughey!   How’s that for a
Deep State manoeuvre comrades?  There has been total silence from the British
Government on the matter.

My other cause that is close to my heart is the struggle of the Palestinians.
I have spent a good deal of time on Twitter in support of the courageous Ahed
Tamimi.   She is 16 and a total inspiration for her people.  Everyone talks
about how much the Israelis fear her courage and example.   That is of course
true.  But in my tweets I have constantly pointed out that Zionist colonialism
would not be possible without the complicity of Arab leaders especially in
Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Jordan. It is the very same leaders who most fear what
Ahed represents.

Some thing must be said about Australian Politics.  I do live here after all! I
am tempted to think we are in something like a Groundhog Day scenario.  The
miserable wretched racist Tory Government continues in office.  The opposition
Labour Party remains wedded to neoliberalism, seemingly of the Lite Variety. So
their opposition is within definite limits. Yet we did have the Marriage
Equality Survey and that showed Australia to  be socially progressive and
marriage reality is not a fact.

Well done!

So prediction time: foolish but fun. Some where (Europe?) there will be a major
rupture to the Left that will threaten to destroy  the decayng neoliberal
centre. Remember this post! I

Comradely

Gary