#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The piece by George Lakoff on Trump’s twitter wars that is circulating at
present has brought back to me debates that were held in Qld in the 70s & 80s
when we activists were accused of playing into the hands of the far right state
Premier Bjelke-Petersen. The latter banned street marches and when we held the
marches and were arrested in our thousands, liberals told us we had walked into
a trap.  Meanwhile they who were infinitely more intelligent than us did not
protest at all.

Similarly Matt Zarb-Cousin (whom I admire) has tweeted that the appointment of
the execrable Toby Young to the post of Universities Overseer is a “dead cat”.
That is, it is designed to distract us from the troubles that the Tory
Government is experiencing over the Brexit negotiations and the crisis in the
National Health System.

I describe the arguments here as the manufacturing of dissent. Basically Lakoff
maintains that reacting to Trump’s twitter feed is playing Trump’s game.  In
this analysis Trump emerges as some master manipulator and we are the
pathetically manipulated that allow him to get away with his true program.

I much prefer to see Trump’s tweets not as the work of a political genius but
as provocations or probes from the enemy that test out our strength. As such if
we do not respond then the enemy becomes emboldened.

Thr frantic restless quality of Trump’s presidency is due at least in part to
the fact that he has been elected in what Reinhart Koselleck called a “saddle
time”, that is a time when a new consensus is being forged in struggle. The old
neoliberal centre is in terminal decline and it is very unclear at present what
will replace it. So for me there is no master plan to trap and distract us,
just a multitude of attacks which we ignore at our peril.

Comradely

Gary