#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Anyone else catch this line in the article smearing him?

"Palumbo-Liu, a professor of Comparative Literature, is certainly no
stranger to controversy, as he is one of the most prodigious anti-Israel
academics in the country. Palumbo-Liu is a staunch advocate of the Boycott,
Divest, Sanction (BDS) movement against Israel and* has praised the website
“If Americans Knew,” a site extensively associated with Holocaust deniers
and white supremacists.*"

The article in turn links to Tablet Mag, a right-wing Jewish sewer hole,
which wholly uses the criticisms of If Americans Knew written by two other
ostensibly pro-Palestine groups, Jewish Voice for Peace and US Campaign, in
order to make their case that there is a consensus that If Americans Knew
is an anti-Semitic website. I remember at the time this happened, DPL felt
forced to retract his endorsement of IAK. Some time before that I wrote an
article on Louis' website pointing out the holes and inconsistencies and
hypocrisy behind some of the criticisms of Alison Weir, the head of If
Americans Knew who was the primary target of these accusations of
anti-Semitism.  I didn't anticipate it would trigger such an angry response
(mostly at Louis), especially given that most other Palestine solidarity
activists seemed to agree that these criticisms were ill-formed. I also
noted a year later that the criticisms of Weir and If Americans Knew were
being bizarrely -- and unfairly -- extended to others within the Palestine
solidarity movement in order to justify shutting down events, including this
one
<https://freepalestinemovement.org/2016/04/13/palestinian-refugee-stanford-students-censored-me/>
featuring
two Palestinian Nakba survivors at Stanford (and this one against the same
event series at GWU
<https://www.facebook.com/notes/sjp-at-gwu/statement-regarding-the-north-america-nakba-tour/1511289938960086/>
).

Now those same attacks, which grew out of the same internal disagreements
and accusations of "anti-Semitism" within the left, are being used to
bolster a case by right-wing extremists that a leftist professor is
actually a terrorist, or worse -- that *he* is some kind of Nazi-defender,
rather than the people condemning him. I know it is a touchy subject on
this list in particular, but every time I see something like this I feel
vindicated that it was absolutely a terrible move by other groups to
publicly attack If Americans Knew the way they did.

Amith R. Gupta

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <